Old 09-11-2011, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Recalcitrant edging

On Nov 8, 7:59*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 11/8/11 6:22 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Here's picture of edging I just bought. *Manufactured wood. *It is
very hard to rassle. *I unrolled it with difficulty and pinned it down
with heavy bricks until it more or less straightened out, but it will
still be difficult to bend *around the curves at the end of the bed.

http://tinyurl.com/d59ohcg

Does anyone have experience with these? *Should I pour hot water on to
make it more malleable? *Or?

TIA

HB

When my back yard was redone, the landscape contractor used some kind of
manufactured edging. *For broad, gentle curves, he nailed the edging to
stakes driven into the ground 2-3 feet apart. *For sharp bends, he cut
the edging and nailed adjacent ends of the two pieces to stakes.

I discovered long ago how to nail edging to stakes. *You place a sledge
hammer lying down with the head against the stake and the handle
pointing away from the edging. *Stand with one foot on the handle of the
sledge hammer. *Drive the nails from the edging into the stake. *the
sledge hammer and you standing on its handle will keep the stake steady
while the nails are being driven.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean, see

***Thank you, but my situation is a little different. I am my own
"contractor", and the area to be partially circumscribed is limited. I
am looking for ways to "soften" in order to be able to manipulate the
stiff and "recalcitrant" edging to make it conform to the small
rectangular bed to be edged. I will be reusing the metal stakes from
earlier borders.

Anybody else?

TIA

HB