Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 2 trees ID

In message , kay
writes

'Emery Davis[_3_ Wrote:
;941476']On 11/09/2011 06:50 PM, Dave Hill wrote:-
Looking at the buds on the bit of twig with the leaf I'll stick to
sycamore,-

Lots of Acers have bud scales, the buds there could be from opalus,
heldreichii or any of several species.

In fairness the remaining flower stalk is sycamore-like, rather than
opalus-like, so that would rule out either opalus or rubrum as I had
suggested. Still doesn't look like pseudoplatanus to me but I'd have
consult the references to come up with more ideas. There are a
boatload
of chinese maples (sterculiaceum etc) that could have a leaf like that,
but I don't remember the samaras or flower form off hand.

-E

In terms of relative abundance, the likelihood is sycamore. It doesn't
look a typical sycamore leaf, but it's not impossible for a rather
scratty sycamore leaf, and the fruits are at the right angle for
sycamore.

That's pretty much my position. It doesn't look like a typical sycamore
leaf, but it's not in particularly good condition, which doesn't help
identification. But it is clearly 3-nerved, which is not normal for
sycamore.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley