Old 09-11-2011, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default 2 trees ID

Hoping for ID on these two...
http://i42.tinypic.com/34nldzs.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/33ab1i9.jpg

The first looks like ash, but the leaves are wrong.

The 2nd I havent a clue what it is. I plucked some of the flowery
processes off to peek inside, as is shown. The pic was taken a day
after picking, and the light green fruity thing in the centre is going
brown in the pic.

fingers crossed, NT
Old 09-11-2011, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NT" wrote in message
Hoping for ID on these two...
http://i42.tinypic.com/34nldzs.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/33ab1i9.jpg

The first looks like ash, but the leaves are wrong.

The 2nd I havent a clue what it is. I plucked some of the flowery
processes off to peek inside, as is shown. The pic was taken a day
after picking, and the light green fruity thing in the centre is going
brown in the pic.

fingers crossed, NT

The first is an Acer. Can not tell which speices from the single leaf shown.
The second is the fruit of Plane (Platanus x acerifolia is most common
species)
R.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ragnar
writes

"NT" wrote in message
Hoping for ID on these two...
http://i42.tinypic.com/34nldzs.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/33ab1i9.jpg

The first looks like ash, but the leaves are wrong.

The 2nd I havent a clue what it is. I plucked some of the flowery
processes off to peek inside, as is shown. The pic was taken a day
after picking, and the light green fruity thing in the centre is going
brown in the pic.

fingers crossed, NT

The first is an Acer. Can not tell which speices from the single leaf shown.
The second is the fruit of Plane (Platanus x acerifolia is most common
species)
R.

You beat me to it. The original poster should note that the samaras
(keys) of maples (Acer) are in pairs, rather single as in ashes
(Fraxinus).

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-11-2011, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 9, 1:49*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Ragnar
writes

"NT" wrote in message
Hoping for ID on these two...
http://i42.tinypic.com/34nldzs.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/33ab1i9.jpg

The first looks like ash, but the leaves are wrong.

The 2nd I havent a clue what it is. I plucked some of the flowery
processes off to peek inside, as is shown. The pic was taken a day
after picking, and the light green fruity thing in the centre is going
brown in the pic.

fingers crossed, NT

The first is an Acer. Can not tell which speices from the single leaf shown.
The second is the fruit of Plane (Platanus x acerifolia is most common
species)
R.

You beat me to it. The original poster should note that the samaras
(keys) of maples (Acer) are in pairs, rather single as in ashes
(Fraxinus).

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

I know its a Maple, but think Sycamore for 1
Old 09-11-2011, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2011 14:53, Dave Hill wrote:
On Nov 9, 1:49 pm, Stewart Robert
wrote:
In , Ragnar
writes

wrote in message
[...]

I think No.1 is a Sycamore. It may be worth noting that the black spot
on the leaf is Acer Tar Spot. Not much you can do about it, except keep
it away from decorative acers if you grow any.
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 09-11-2011, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/09/2011 05:22 PM, Spider wrote:
On 09/11/2011 14:53, Dave Hill wrote:
On Nov 9, 1:49 pm, Stewart Robert
wrote:
In , Ragnar
writes

wrote in message

[...]

Does not look like a sycamore (A. pseudoplatanus) although as Ragnar
says it is difficult to tell from one leaf. Samara looks wrong too. The
3 lobes could indicate A. rubrum, which has wide morphological
variation, or perhaps a form of A. opalus. More leaves will help!

-E
Old 09-11-2011, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 9, 5:43*pm, Emery Davis wrote:
On 11/09/2011 05:22 PM, Spider wrote:

On 09/11/2011 14:53, Dave Hill wrote:
On Nov 9, 1:49 pm, Stewart Robert
wrote:
In , Ragnar
*writes

*wrote in message

[...]

-E- Hide quoted text -

Looking at the buds on the bit of twig with the leaf I'll stick to
sycamore,
we could of course ask the OP where they came from.
David
Old 09-11-2011, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/09/2011 06:50 PM, Dave Hill wrote:
Looking at the buds on the bit of twig with the leaf I'll stick to
sycamore,

Lots of Acers have bud scales, the buds there could be from opalus,
heldreichii or any of several species.

In fairness the remaining flower stalk is sycamore-like, rather than
opalus-like, so that would rule out either opalus or rubrum as I had
suggested. Still doesn't look like pseudoplatanus to me but I'd have to
consult the references to come up with more ideas. There are a boatload
of chinese maples (sterculiaceum etc) that could have a leaf like that,
but I don't remember the samaras or flower form off hand.

-E
Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] View Post
On 11/09/2011 06:50 PM, Dave Hill wrote:
Looking at the buds on the bit of twig with the leaf I'll stick to
sycamore,

Lots of Acers have bud scales, the buds there could be from opalus,
heldreichii or any of several species.

In fairness the remaining flower stalk is sycamore-like, rather than
opalus-like, so that would rule out either opalus or rubrum as I had
suggested. Still doesn't look like pseudoplatanus to me but I'd have to
consult the references to come up with more ideas. There are a boatload
of chinese maples (sterculiaceum etc) that could have a leaf like that,
but I don't remember the samaras or flower form off hand.

-E
In terms of relative abundance, the likelihood is sycamore. It doesn't look a typical sycamore leaf, but it's not impossible for a rather scratty sycamore leaf, and the fruits are at the right angle for sycamore.
__________________
Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

'Emery Davis[_3_ Wrote:
;941476']On 11/09/2011 06:50 PM, Dave Hill wrote:-
[...]

That's pretty much my position. It doesn't look like a typical sycamore
leaf, but it's not in particularly good condition, which doesn't help
identification. But it is clearly 3-nerved, which is not normal for
sycamore.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 10-11-2011, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/2011 09:52 AM, kay wrote:
In terms of relative abundance, the likelihood is sycamore. It doesn't
look a typical sycamore leaf, but it's not impossible for a rather
scratty sycamore leaf, and the fruits are at the right angle for
sycamore.

Hi Kay,

I certainly won't argue against the likely hood of it being a sycamore
from the standpoint of what is most common. But if it comes from a
park, it may be something different. That leaf is a pretty good
stretch, though of course possible.

Most sycamores have a less wide angle in the samara, but it's within the
normal range. To my eye the seed itself looks a little bit wrong, not
tear drop enough; but again within possible variation.

More information certainly would be needed to be sure.

Hm, scratty, I like that!

-E
Old 12-11-2011, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Nov 9, 1:15*pm, NT wrote:
Hoping for ID on these two...http://i42.tinypic.com/34nldzs.jpght...om/33ab1i9.jpg

The first looks like ash, but the leaves are wrong.

The 2nd I havent a clue what it is. I plucked some of the flowery
processes off to peek inside, as is shown. The pic was taken a day
after picking, and the light green fruity thing in the centre is going
brown in the pic.

fingers crossed, NT

Thanks everyone. Looks like its some sort of maple, I'll get a better
picture at some point.

cheers, NT