Old 10-11-2011, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default allotments

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 11:40:16 +0000, kay
wrote:

Interesting report on allotments:
'The English allotment lottery | News | guardian.co.uk'
(http://tinyurl.com/7vkjjkc)

some of the highlights

-the average cost of allotments has gone up by 21% over three years

-In 2011 only Bolsover still charges 1p/sqm, although South Lakeland was
the only council to reduce rents (50p/sqm) it remains one of the most
expensive councils in the country, with Runnymede the most expensive at
55p/sqm

-on average there's one person waiting for each plot in England

-changes in terms of the agreement are being planned by 32 Councils and
considered by 12 more, eg to avoid compensation on termination of
tenancy, Tameside (Greater Manchester) now stipulates no "(a) standard
or other fruit trees permanently set out; (b) fruit bushes (c)
strawberry plants; (d) asparagus, rhubarb, and other vegetable crops
which continue productive for two or more years." ... which really does
cut down on the usefulness of having an allotment.

Tameside have other issues. It's almost like they don't like
allotments.
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...on-ashton-moss

That is absolutely insane. Our rules say no trees. *rolls eyes* as the
man who drew up the plans cover them in fruit trees.

I would say Tamesides amounts of an unfair contract and against the
spirit of the Allotment act.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk