Old 10-11-2011, 11:40 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Default allotments

Interesting report on allotments:
The English allotment lottery | News | guardian.co.uk

some of the highlights

-the average cost of allotments has gone up by 21% over three years

-In 2011 only Bolsover still charges 1p/sqm, although South Lakeland was the only council to reduce rents (50p/sqm) it remains one of the most expensive councils in the country, with Runnymede the most expensive at 55p/sqm

-on average there's one person waiting for each plot in England

-changes in terms of the agreement are being planned by 32 Councils and considered by 12 more, eg to avoid compensation on termination of tenancy, Tameside (Greater Manchester) now stipulates no "(a) standard or other fruit trees permanently set out; (b) fruit bushes (c) strawberry plants; (d) asparagus, rhubarb, and other vegetable crops which continue productive for two or more years." ... which really does cut down on the usefulness of having an allotment.
__________________
Old 10-11-2011, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(http://tinyurl.com/7vkjjkc)

[...]

Tameside have other issues. It's almost like they don't like
allotments.
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...on-ashton-moss

That is absolutely insane. Our rules say no trees. *rolls eyes* as the
man who drew up the plans cover them in fruit trees.

I would say Tamesides amounts of an unfair contract and against the
spirit of the Allotment act.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-11-2011, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

kay wrote:
-changes in terms of the agreement are being planned by 32 Councils and
considered by 12 more, eg to avoid compensation on termination of
tenancy, Tameside (Greater Manchester) now stipulates no "(a) standard
or other fruit trees permanently set out; (b) fruit bushes (c)
strawberry plants; (d) asparagus, rhubarb, and other vegetable crops
which continue productive for two or more years." ... which really does
cut down on the usefulness of having an allotment.

We have to apply for permission to grow fruit trees, but as far as I know,
no-one has actually been denied permission.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote ...

[...]

Now guess which Council area our allotments come under. :-(

Runnymede say no trees, but I've planted 4 cherries and lots of others have
fruit trees, it's just to cover themselves in case someone plants an oak or
similar. Yes it has happened, and on our site too! It got cut down as soon
as they gave up.
You are supposed to ask about fruit trees and sheds but they normally allow
them. No stipulation on permanent planting of fruit although I can see why
it's done as we were shoved off our last site to make way for a Town Park
and some of the people claimed a lot of compensation for their permanent
fruit and asparagus. Claimed for every single plant when most were
propagated by them or presents from other allotment holders ie. they cost
them nothing.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 10-11-2011, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"kay" wrote ...

Interesting report on allotments:
'The English allotment lottery | News | guardian.co.uk'
(http://tinyurl.com/7vkjjkc)

Now guess which Council area our allotments come under. :-(

I might add we are due to attend an Allotment Reps meeting with the Council
in a weeks time so the information is rather timely. Thank you Kay.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 10-11-2011, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

[...]

No rhubarb? You've got to have rhubarb on an allotment, it's the law.

Steve

Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"kay" wrote ...[color=blue][i]

You are supposed to ask about fruit trees and sheds but they normally allow
them. No stipulation on permanent planting of fruit although I can see why
it's done as we were shoved off our last site to make way for a Town Park
and some of the people claimed a lot of compensation for their permanent
fruit and asparagus. Claimed for every single plant when most were
propagated by them or presents from other allotment holders ie. they cost
them nothing.
It may have cost them nothing in money (though a lot in care an attention), but it would cost a lot to replace the level of crop that they are now providing. For example, one of my apple trees is now providing a reliable 100lbs fruit a year. I'd certainly not be pleased at receiving compensation of the £20 that it'd cost me to buy a replacement young tree.
__________________
Old 11-11-2011, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote
Bob HobdenWrote:
"kay" wrote

[...]

I can see that but we were not happy to have been pushed off our plot
considering all the work that we had put into improving the soil from hard
heavy clay to a decent friable tilth over the years. We then had to start
all over again on a derelict plot and are just now getting the soil into to
a decent condition having removed almost all the large stones, bricks (about
a ton), plastic and glass. Can't believe anyone would treat their allotment
as a tip like that.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , kay
writes
Tameside (Greater Manchester) now stipulates no "(a) standard

or other fruit trees permanently set out; (b) fruit bushes (c)

strawberry plants; (d) asparagus, rhubarb, and other vegetable crops

which continue productive for two or more years." ...

Why on earth do they have that clause? What's the thinking? They might
want to give a weeks notice to the plot holders or something?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-11-2011, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:42:43 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , kay
writes
Tameside (Greater Manchester) now stipulates no "(a) standard

or other fruit trees permanently set out; (b) fruit bushes (c)

strawberry plants; (d) asparagus, rhubarb, and other vegetable crops

which continue productive for two or more years." ...

Why on earth do they have that clause? What's the thinking? They might
want to give a weeks notice to the plot holders or something?

I assume so.

Ashton doesn't seem to want official allotments