Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default allotments

"kay" wrote ...

Interesting report on allotments:
'The English allotment lottery | News | guardian.co.uk'
(http://tinyurl.com/7vkjjkc)

some of the highlights

-the average cost of allotments has gone up by 21% over three years

-In 2011 only Bolsover still charges 1p/sqm, although South Lakeland was
the only council to reduce rents (50p/sqm) it remains one of the most
expensive councils in the country, with Runnymede the most expensive at
55p/sqm

-on average there's one person waiting for each plot in England

-changes in terms of the agreement are being planned by 32 Councils and
considered by 12 more, eg to avoid compensation on termination of
tenancy, Tameside (Greater Manchester) now stipulates no "(a) standard
or other fruit trees permanently set out; (b) fruit bushes (c)
strawberry plants; (d) asparagus, rhubarb, and other vegetable crops
which continue productive for two or more years." ... which really does
cut down on the usefulness of having an allotment.

Now guess which Council area our allotments come under. :-(

Runnymede say no trees, but I've planted 4 cherries and lots of others have
fruit trees, it's just to cover themselves in case someone plants an oak or
similar. Yes it has happened, and on our site too! It got cut down as soon
as they gave up.
You are supposed to ask about fruit trees and sheds but they normally allow
them. No stipulation on permanent planting of fruit although I can see why
it's done as we were shoved off our last site to make way for a Town Park
and some of the people claimed a lot of compensation for their permanent
fruit and asparagus. Claimed for every single plant when most were
propagated by them or presents from other allotment holders ie. they cost
them nothing.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup