Old 11-11-2011, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default allotments

"kay" wrote
Bob HobdenWrote:
"kay" wrote

You are supposed to ask about fruit trees and sheds but they normally
allow
them. No stipulation on permanent planting of fruit although I can see
why
it's done as we were shoved off our last site to make way for a Town
Park
and some of the people claimed a lot of compensation for their permanent

fruit and asparagus. Claimed for every single plant when most were
propagated by them or presents from other allotment holders ie. they
cost
them nothing.

It may have cost them nothing in money (though a lot in care an
attention), but it would cost a lot to replace the level of crop that
they are now providing. For example, one of my apple trees is now
providing a reliable 100lbs fruit a year. I'd certainly not be pleased
at receiving compensation of the £20 that it'd cost me to buy a
replacement young tree.

I can see that but we were not happy to have been pushed off our plot
considering all the work that we had put into improving the soil from hard
heavy clay to a decent friable tilth over the years. We then had to start
all over again on a derelict plot and are just now getting the soil into to
a decent condition having removed almost all the large stones, bricks (about
a ton), plastic and glass. Can't believe anyone would treat their allotment
as a tip like that.

--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK