Old 13-11-2011, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Greenhouse Chillies

"Dave Hill" wrote...

"Bob Hobden" ((Big Snip))
As far as Garlic is concerned we have found anything with "Wight" in the

name does not grow well for us, probably because we are on acid soil
whereas
the Isle of Wight is mainly chalk. Thermidrome and Germidour are our two
favourites.

What about Scottish garlic Bob
http://www.reallygarlicky.co.uk/

Interesting!
I must admit after years of buying new garlic and shallots to plant each
year we now replant our own. The old steam train driver that taught me to
allotment garden never ever bought in new stuff and always kept his best for
replanting and he never had any problems. I sometimes think buying new each
year buys disease too whereas if you use your own you are not introducing
anything new and if they were diseased they would have rotted by the time
replanting comes round anyway. It might even build up a strain that is
resistant to your local problems.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK