Old 13-11-2011, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse Chillies

All:

The chilli plants were dying back with mildew at some of their
extremities.

Even so a couple were still in flower. A couple of fruits had been
attacked from the top and were being internally devoured by some sort
of creature. The greens are unlikely to ripen to red now.

SO I strippped the crop of the remaining fruits and turfed the plants
out. I can now weed (or weedkill) the soil in my my greenhouse.

I am planning Nagas and Okra next year, starting off early in a heated
propagator in my conservatory, then out to the greenhouse.

In open soil, the Laurtrec Wight garlics have been showing, as have
been the Senshu Yellow Onions. The latter being outside 'the cage'
have variously been knocked over by the foxes. Illegitimi.

We had one meal off the surviving French Beans. Must plant earlier
next year. Probably inside the cage.

Regards
JonH

Butternut Squashes are off the planting menu for next year. They take
up far too much space... and they are not to my taste.
Old 13-11-2011, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JonH wrote
The chilli plants were dying back with mildew at some of their
extremities.

Even so a couple were still in flower. A couple of fruits had been
attacked from the top and were being internally devoured by some sort
of creature. The greens are unlikely to ripen to red now.

SO I stripped the crop of the remaining fruits and turfed the plants
out. I can now weed (or weedkill) the soil in my my greenhouse.

I am planning Nagas and Okra next year, starting off early in a heated
propagator in my conservatory, then out to the greenhouse.

In open soil, the Laurtrec Wight garlics have been showing, as have
been the Senshu Yellow Onions. The latter being outside 'the cage'
have variously been knocked over by the foxes. Illegitimi.

We had one meal off the surviving French Beans. Must plant earlier
next year. Probably inside the cage.

Butternut Squashes are off the planting menu for next year. They take
up far too much space... and they are not to my taste.

We finally pulled up our Chilli plants out on out allotment today, they were
under large cloches (£19.99 Wyvales). Got the best crop of red chillies ever
this year such that even our Asian neighbours got bags of red ones as well
as the remaining green ones. Trouble is the men of the households complain
that the "Thai Dragon" are too hot, the "Inferno" should be more to their
taste. Is it general that women can take a curry hotter than men? Certainly
true in our household too.
Never had anything eat our chillies unless they were touching the ground.
Nagas and Ockra especially demand a lot of sun and a long summer, hope you
do well.

As far as Garlic is concerned we have found anything with "Wight" in the
name does not grow well for us, probably because we are on acid soil whereas
the Isle of Wight is mainly chalk. Thermidrome and Germidour are our two
favourites.

Don't bother with overwintering onions, lose too many to the weather to make
it worthwhile and they are only a couple of weeks before the spring planted
and don't store well either. Not much going for them IMO.

Pulled up our beans some weeks ago, got all we want of the French Beans in
the freezer and we don't bother freezing Runners, horrid when frozen IMO.

We like roasted Butternut Squash though, roasted with some red onions we
have it as a side dish at Christmas and everyone loves it. Use with onions,
French beans, asparagus and peppers in a roasted veg combination it's rather
good too with anything and you can forget the spuds.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-11-2011, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 13, 9:41*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
JonH wrote

[...]

from the W.of London. UK- Hide quoted text -

What about Scotish garlic Bob
http://www.reallygarlicky.co.uk/
Old 13-11-2011, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote...

"Bob Hobden" ((Big Snip))
As far as Garlic is concerned we have found anything with "Wight" in the

name does not grow well for us, probably because we are on acid soil
whereas
the Isle of Wight is mainly chalk. Thermidrome and Germidour are our two
favourites.

What about Scottish garlic Bob
http://www.reallygarlicky.co.uk/

Interesting!
I must admit after years of buying new garlic and shallots to plant each
year we now replant our own. The old steam train driver that taught me to
allotment garden never ever bought in new stuff and always kept his best for
replanting and he never had any problems. I sometimes think buying new each
year buys disease too whereas if you use your own you are not introducing
anything new and if they were diseased they would have rotted by the time
replanting comes round anyway. It might even build up a strain that is
resistant to your local problems.

Old 13-11-2011, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Dave Hill" wrote...

"Bob Hobden" ((Big Snip))
[...]

I might add that this year we have acquired, from a friend that lives out
there, a bag of those large/long French shallots to plant together with some
of their small ones that are highly prized by their chefs. The name escapes
me, I'll have to ask again.

Old 15-11-2011, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Nov 2011 14:14:33 GMT, wrote:

wrote:
I am planning Nagas and Okra next year, starting off early in a heated
propagator in my conservatory, then out to the greenhouse.

I grew accidental okra this year. Last year I grew a couple of plants which
stayed tiny and gave 3 or 4 pods. This year the plants grew really quite
tall (4-5') and all I got were seed pods.

Is it not the seed pods you grow it for?

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 15-11-2011, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mogga wrote:
I am planning Nagas and Okra next year, starting off early in a heated
propagator in my conservatory, then out to the greenhouse.

I grew accidental okra this year. Last year I grew a couple of plants which
stayed tiny and gave 3 or 4 pods. This year the plants grew really quite
tall (4-5') and all I got were seed pods.

Is it not the seed pods you grow it for?

That's a very good point, actually. These were more like poppy heads. But
with large-ish round seeds which looked like okra seeds.

I'm only going by the ID of this ng that it is okra, but it made sense,
since I had grown it the year before.

Chillies Not Flowering Sarah Dale United Kingdom 3 16-08-2003 12:33 AM
Chillies Kieron United Kingdom 7 27-07-2003 07:03 PM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors sprocket United Kingdom 25 19-04-2003 05:44 PM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 10:18 AM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Gardening 2 24-02-2003 10:17 AM