Old 14-11-2011, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AriesVal[_12_] AriesVal[_12_] is offline

Default Storing apples

On 13/11/2011 21:36, Dave Hill wrote:
On Nov 13, 9:29 pm, wrote:
On 13/11/2011 16:50, Martin Brown wrote: On 12/11/2011 22:24, AriesVal wrote:

Can someone explain why my stored Bramley apples develop a greasy skin?

Natural oils from the fruit skin. Helps keep the flesh moist and
discourages fungal rots from getting established.

Thank you, but it still surprises me that apple skins have natural oils
- I lives and learns.

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?

There was a tree in a place I once worked that had apples 6 to 8
inches accross and they were the most waxy, almost oily apples I've
ever come accross, problem is I don't know the variety, but this was
around 40 years ago and the tree must have been the best part of 50
years old.
David

Interesting. The Bramley apple tree we have here must be near that age
too, and I'm surprised it's still producing such a huge crop of apples.
Mind you I had a professional fruit tree pruner in to shape it up the
year before last and it seems to have benefited from that.

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?