Old 12-11-2011, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Storing apples

Can someone explain why my stored Bramley apples develop a greasy skin?

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?
Old 13-11-2011, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/2011 22:24, AriesVal wrote:
Can someone explain why my stored Bramley apples develop a greasy skin?

I have always assumed that it is natures way of protecting them. They
are, after all, renowned "keepers"

Old 13-11-2011, 03:14 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesVal[_12_] View Post
Can someone explain why my stored Bramley apples develop a greasy skin?
Can't explain why, but they always do it, it doesn't spoil their eating quality.
__________________
Old 13-11-2011, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/2011 22:24, AriesVal wrote:

Can someone explain why my stored Bramley apples develop a greasy skin?

Natural oils from the fruit skin. Helps keep the flesh moist and
discourages fungal rots from getting established.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 13-11-2011, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 12/11/2011 22:24, AriesVal wrote:

Can someone explain why my stored Bramley apples develop a greasy skin?

Natural oils from the fruit skin. Helps keep the flesh moist and
discourages fungal rots from getting established.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

We had a massive Bramley in the big garden at our last house.
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaar too many to harvest and we let them drop. The birds loved
them and we never ever saw any fungal rot.

Mike

Old 13-11-2011, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/11/2011 16:50, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/11/2011 22:24, AriesVal wrote:

Can someone explain why my stored Bramley apples develop a greasy skin?

Natural oils from the fruit skin. Helps keep the flesh moist and
discourages fungal rots from getting established.

Thank you, but it still surprises me that apple skins have natural oils
- I lives and learns.

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?
Old 13-11-2011, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 13, 9:29*pm, AriesVal wrote:
On 13/11/2011 16:50, Martin Brown wrote: On 12/11/2011 22:24, AriesVal wrote:

Can someone explain why my stored Bramley apples develop a greasy skin?

Natural oils from the fruit skin. Helps keep the flesh moist and
discourages fungal rots from getting established.

Thank you, but it still surprises me that apple skins have natural oils
- I lives and learns.

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?

There was a tree in a place I once worked that had apples 6 to 8
inches accross and they were the most waxy, almost oily apples I've
ever come accross, problem is I don't know the variety, but this was
around 40 years ago and the tree must have been the best part of 50
years old.
David
Old 14-11-2011, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/11/2011 21:36, Dave Hill wrote:
On Nov 13, 9:29 pm, wrote:
On 13/11/2011 16:50, Martin Brown wrote: On 12/11/2011 22:24, AriesVal wrote:

Can someone explain why my stored Bramley apples develop a greasy skin?

Natural oils from the fruit skin. Helps keep the flesh moist and
discourages fungal rots from getting established.

Thank you, but it still surprises me that apple skins have natural oils
- I lives and learns.

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?

There was a tree in a place I once worked that had apples 6 to 8
inches accross and they were the most waxy, almost oily apples I've
ever come accross, problem is I don't know the variety, but this was
around 40 years ago and the tree must have been the best part of 50
years old.
David

Interesting. The Bramley apple tree we have here must be near that age
too, and I'm surprised it's still producing such a huge crop of apples.
Mind you I had a professional fruit tree pruner in to shape it up the
year before last and it seems to have benefited from that.

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?
Old 18-11-2011, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 12/11/2011 22:24, AriesVal wrote:

Can someone explain why my stored Bramley apples develop a greasy skin?

Natural oils from the fruit skin. Helps keep the flesh moist and
discourages fungal rots from getting established.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

We had a massive Bramley in the big garden at our last house.
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaar too many to harvest and we let them drop. The birds loved
them and we never ever saw any fungal rot.

Why didn't you just give them away, perhaps to neighbours?

I take mine to the local old folks club.

Alan

Mike