Old 14-11-2011, 09:29 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiegardener View Post
In the past few weeks I have noticed that large areas of our gravel - its a landscaped garden area turning green on top (sort of limey colour).

Thought it might be the dog 'wee' but it seems to be in areas that he never goes to.

Has anyone any ideas what might be causing this and if I can doing anything to reverse/stop it?

it has been very wet/damp recently down here in the South West.

thanks

Jeff
Hi Jeff, Yes, I think you've nearly got the reason, its a combination of wet warm weather and dog wee. I have 2 spaniels and a large natural flag stone patio which due to the same reasons has gone green. I use hypochlorite, which is what dairy farmers use as a sterilising agent, which is more animal friendly than bleach (available from any agricultural merchants) It comes in a
5 gallon drum and costs about £12. Mix this at a rate of 1/4 of a pint to 10 pints of warm water and either apply with a watering can or as I do using a pump up type sprayer and in either case, apply to damp stones and this will kill this algae. (the sprayer will give you much better coverage) Obviously, dont use a sprayer that you use on plants, mine is normally used for weedkiller. Hope this helps.
regards, Lannerman.