Old 14-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Registered User

Default Garden Gravel Stones going green!

In the past few weeks I have noticed that large areas of our gravel - its a landscaped garden area turning green on top (sort of limey colour).

Thought it might be the dog 'wee' but it seems to be in areas that he never goes to.

Has anyone any ideas what might be causing this and if I can doing anything to reverse/stop it?

it has been very wet/damp recently down here in the South West.

thanks

Jeff
Old 14-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiegardener View Post
In the past few weeks I have noticed that large areas of our gravel - its a landscaped garden area turning green on top (sort of limey colour).

Thought it might be the dog 'wee' but it seems to be in areas that he never goes to.

Has anyone any ideas what might be causing this and if I can doing anything to reverse/stop it?

it has been very wet/damp recently down here in the South West.

thanks

Jeff
Hi Jeff, Yes, I think you've nearly got the reason, its a combination of wet warm weather and dog wee. I have 2 spaniels and a large natural flag stone patio which due to the same reasons has gone green. I use hypochlorite, which is what dairy farmers use as a sterilising agent, which is more animal friendly than bleach (available from any agricultural merchants) It comes in a
5 gallon drum and costs about £12. Mix this at a rate of 1/4 of a pint to 10 pints of warm water and either apply with a watering can or as I do using a pump up type sprayer and in either case, apply to damp stones and this will kill this algae. (the sprayer will give you much better coverage) Obviously, dont use a sprayer that you use on plants, mine is normally used for weedkiller. Hope this helps.
regards, Lannerman.
Old 14-11-2011, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

newbiegardener wrote:
In the past few weeks I have noticed that large areas of our gravel -
its a landscaped garden area turning green on top (sort of limey
colour).

Thought it might be the dog 'wee' but it seems to be in areas that he
never goes to.

Has anyone any ideas what might be causing this and if I can doing
anything to reverse/stop it?

it has been very wet/damp recently down here in the South West.

thanks

Jeff

A photo would help but it's probably algae. There isn't much you can do
about it unless you want to spray a lot of chemicals that will have
substantial side effects. It will reduce in dry weather and grow in wet.

Instead of trying to eliminate the algae it would be easier to adjust your
expectations of what a garden should look like. Gardens are full of bugs,
bacteria, fungi, algae, spiders, grubs etc, the list is endless, which
superficially are not desired. Some turn out to be beneficial and all have
a role in the ecology. You can spend your life trying to beat them (and
inevitably fail) or recognise that is how the world is and reach a
compromise. The compromise might need to be more in your favour (say) where
a horde of birds are about to eat all the fruit that you wanted to eat but
it might be more in favour of the natural result in matters that are not so
important.

David

PS

South West of what? This is an international newsgroup.

Old 15-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Jeff, Yes, I think you've nearly got the reason, its a combination of wet warm weather and dog wee. I have 2 spaniels and a large natural flag stone patio which due to the same reasons has gone green. I use hypochlorite, which is what dairy farmers use as a sterilising agent, which is more animal friendly than bleach (available from any agricultural merchants) It comes in a
5 gallon drum and costs about £12. Mix this at a rate of 1/4 of a pint to 10 pints of warm water and either apply with a watering can or as I do using a pump up type sprayer and in either case, apply to damp stones and this will kill this algae. (the sprayer will give you much better coverage) Obviously, dont use a sprayer that you use on plants, mine is normally used for weedkiller. Hope this helps.
regards, Lannerman.

Thank you Lannerman - much appreciated - will try this - though how long should you keep your dog off after spraying - is it caustic to the dogs pads do you know?
Old 15-11-2011, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

i'd assume it was moss or algae, if it's spring
it could also be pollen.

only in the last case does washing do much
good. if algae, it will die back when it
gets dry again. if it is moss, leave it alone
and enjoy a beautiful mossy garden. well worth
leaving alone... if the climate is nice enough
you can find bits of other mosses and include
them in a patchwork pattern.

moss and algae are in the air so there's no
way to get rid of the permanently. chemicals
will knock it back for a while, but the
poisons or changes to soil chemistry are not
worth the use.

songbird

Old 15-11-2011, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
newbiegardener wrote:
In the past few weeks I have noticed that large areas of our gravel -
its a landscaped garden area turning green on top (sort of limey
colour).

Thought it might be the dog 'wee' but it seems to be in areas that he
never goes to.

Has anyone any ideas what might be causing this and if I can doing
anything to reverse/stop it?

it has been very wet/damp recently down here in the South West.

A photo would help but it's probably algae.

Algae is a water plant... the OP probably has moss growing. If the
green is appearing in the shady areas it is definitely moss. Use of
decorative gravel in shade in wet/damp climes is not a very good idea.
Old 15-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiegardener View Post
Thank you Lannerman - much appreciated - will try this - though how long should you keep your dog off after spraying - is it caustic to the dogs pads do you know?
Hi Jeff, at the rates quoted, it is only very mildly a skin irritant and providing you dont exceed these rates should not cause any poblems to the dogs pads but never the less, it is a type of bleach so to be sure, I'd leave it a day before letting the dogs on it. Ive been using this for ages without any detrimental effect on my dogs. Please be careful with the concentrate and NEVER mix it with any other chemical especially ammonia as it then produces a toxic chemical called chloramine, now technically urine contains ammonia so thats why i say, if it is doe urine on the stones, leave it a day before letting the dogs on it.
regards, Lannerman.

[IMG] code is On

Fish are going going......... ReelMcKoi Ponds (moderated) 8 23-03-2009 07:33 PM
Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
[IBC] going no mail...going HOME! alicia-dr-hankins Bonsai 0 24-05-2004 03:05 PM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM