Old 14-11-2011, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden Gravel Stones going green!

newbiegardener wrote:
In the past few weeks I have noticed that large areas of our gravel -
its a landscaped garden area turning green on top (sort of limey
colour).

Thought it might be the dog 'wee' but it seems to be in areas that he
never goes to.

Has anyone any ideas what might be causing this and if I can doing
anything to reverse/stop it?

it has been very wet/damp recently down here in the South West.

thanks

Jeff

A photo would help but it's probably algae. There isn't much you can do
about it unless you want to spray a lot of chemicals that will have
substantial side effects. It will reduce in dry weather and grow in wet.

Instead of trying to eliminate the algae it would be easier to adjust your
expectations of what a garden should look like. Gardens are full of bugs,
bacteria, fungi, algae, spiders, grubs etc, the list is endless, which
superficially are not desired. Some turn out to be beneficial and all have
a role in the ecology. You can spend your life trying to beat them (and
inevitably fail) or recognise that is how the world is and reach a
compromise. The compromise might need to be more in your favour (say) where
a horde of birds are about to eat all the fruit that you wanted to eat but
it might be more in favour of the natural result in matters that are not so
important.

David

PS

South West of what? This is an international newsgroup.