Old 16-11-2011, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Dahlias - ok to lift and dry?

"Bertie Doe" wrote ((SNIP))

Thanks Dave, these are mainly 3, 4 and 5 year old plants. Winter of 09/10 I
left them in the ground and no damage done. Last winter was cooler and I
lost 4 plants. Winter of 08/09 they were in loft and I lost 3 - as you say,
this could be due to dampness in plastic carrier bags.
Raining as I write, but tomorrow should be ok, I'll try your method.
Looking at the radar, the rains reached you:-
http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Whilst you mention leaving in the ground, we had a row out on our old
allotment for years and they only ever suffered with slug damage as the
shoots were showing. I originally planted them very deep, twice as deep as
recommended or more and that allowed them to come through the winters in an
exposed* site.
* that is always relative, before someone up a mountain in Scotland says
anything. :-)
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK