Old 16-11-2011, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dahlias - ok to lift and dry?

Mine have all stopped flowering. I have a couple dozen in a small area on
the allotment. Location exposed, 500'amsl and East facing.
I believe you are meant to lift them, trim the stems down to 6" and turned
upside-down for a length of time:-

1. How long to keep the exposed to the elements?

2. Would it pay me to wash any soil off first?

Here's the forecast for the SW for next couple of days.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...t_weather.html

They will be wrapped in crumpled newspaper and bagged in the loft.
Many thanks for your replies.
Bertie

Old 16-11-2011, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 16, 10:09*am, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
Mine have all stopped flowering. I have a couple dozen in a small area on
the allotment. Location exposed, 500'amsl and East facing.
I believe you are meant to lift them, trim the stems down to 6" and turned
upside-down for a length of time:-

1. How long to keep the exposed to the elements?

2. Would it pay me to wash any soil off first?

Here's the forecast for the SW for next couple of days.http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...t_weather.html

They will be wrapped in crumpled newspaper and bagged in the loft.
Many thanks for your replies.
Bertie

I have been lifting now for a couple of weeks, I lift in the morning
leaving the tubers on the surface; after removing as much soil as
possible; to dry then box in the afternoon, I cut the stems back to
around 3 inches and place the tubers upside down in the boxes, these
are then moved inside to carry on drying,
In early Jan I turn the tubers the right way up and bed them into the
boxes with moist compost ready to start into growth for me to take
cuttings.
If you are going to store the tubers in newspaper no problem, but I'd
put them intocardboard or wooden boxes rather than bags.
You dont say if they are first year tubers or older ones.
Some people wash any soil off the tubers (sometinea using a weak
bleach solution.) and dust with flowers of sulphur prior to storing.
Old 16-11-2011, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Dave, these are mainly 3, 4 and 5 year old plants. Winter of 09/10 I
left them in the ground and no damage done. Last winter was cooler and I
lost 4 plants. Winter of 08/09 they were in loft and I lost 3 - as you say,
this could be due to dampness in plastic carrier bags.
Raining as I write, but tomorrow should be ok, I'll try your method. Looking
at the radar, the rains reached you:-
http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Old 16-11-2011, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote ((SNIP))

Thanks Dave, these are mainly 3, 4 and 5 year old plants. Winter of 09/10 I
left them in the ground and no damage done. Last winter was cooler and I
lost 4 plants. Winter of 08/09 they were in loft and I lost 3 - as you say,
this could be due to dampness in plastic carrier bags.
Raining as I write, but tomorrow should be ok, I'll try your method.
Looking at the radar, the rains reached you:-
http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Whilst you mention leaving in the ground, we had a row out on our old
allotment for years and they only ever suffered with slug damage as the
shoots were showing. I originally planted them very deep, twice as deep as
recommended or more and that allowed them to come through the winters in an
exposed* site.
* that is always relative, before someone up a mountain in Scotland says
anything. :-)
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 16-11-2011, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 16, 3:22*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Bertie Doe" *wrote ((SNIP))

[...]

The main thing that kills dahlias left in the ground is the wet not so
much the cold, though in a hard winter that will wipe them out.
As you say Bob you have to put slug bait out from mid May onwards if
you have left them in.
Leaving dahlias tubers in plastic bags will almost certainly lead to
rot unless they are 100% dry, store them in dry compost, slightly damp
pearlite or vermiculite or peat.
Large tubers, those several years old will have to be split some
people will advocate doing it straight after lifting when the stems
are still green, others leave them till early spring.
If you have several tubers of a variety I would lift one or two in
case of a hard winter,
I find If I leave tubers in the ground because I don't want them they
come up the following spring where as If I wanted them but had
forgoten them they die.
Sods Law.

Old 17-11-2011, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

/The main thing that kills dahlias left in the ground is the wet not so
/much the cold, though in a hard winter that will wipe them out.
/As you say Bob you have to put slug bait out from mid May onwards if
/you have left them in.
/Leaving dahlias tubers in plastic bags will almost certainly lead to
/rot unless they are 100% dry, store them in dry compost, slightly damp
/pearlite or vermiculite or peat.

I've noticed the plants don't seem to grow as tall as when I put them in,
say 5 years ago. I suspect the soil is exhausted, despite getting 3
wheelbarrows of cow manure in December.

Old 17-11-2011, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bertie Doe wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

/The main thing that kills dahlias left in the ground is the wet not so
/much the cold, though in a hard winter that will wipe them out.
/As you say Bob you have to put slug bait out from mid May onwards if
/you have left them in.
/Leaving dahlias tubers in plastic bags will almost certainly lead to
/rot unless they are 100% dry, store them in dry compost, slightly damp
/pearlite or vermiculite or peat.

I've noticed the plants don't seem to grow as tall as when I put them in,
say 5 years ago. I suspect the soil is exhausted, despite getting 3
wheelbarrows of cow manure in December.

Possible, but other likely causes are the poor summers we have had,
or parasite build-up (from nematodes to viruses).

Regards,
Nick.
Old 17-11-2011, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 17, 9:28*am, wrote:
In article ,

Bertie Doe wrote:
"Dave Hill" *wrote in message

/The main thing that kills dahlias left in the ground is the wet not so
/much the cold, though in a hard winter that will wipe them out.
/As you say Bob you have to put slug bait out from mid May onwards if
/you have left them in.
/Leaving dahlias tubers in plastic bags will almost certainly lead to
/rot unless they are 100% dry, store them in dry compost, slightly damp
/pearlite or vermiculite or peat.

I've noticed the plants don't seem to grow as tall as when I put them in,
say 5 years ago. I suspect the soil is exhausted, despite getting 3
wheelbarrows of cow manure in December.

Possible, but other likely causes are the poor summers we have had,
or parasite build-up (from nematodes to viruses).

Regards,
Nick.

If ytou havn't divided the tubers in 5 years I'm not supprised they
are not growing as tall as they first did.
First year you probably had 2 or 3 shoots, now you are probably having
getting on for 20..
If you think, with herbacious plants when you divide them you take off
younger growth on the outside and dump the Old middle,
With large clumps of dahlias split them, possibly using a spade to cut
them up if they are realy large, select the tubers with the younger
stems, you will find old and dead stems and tubers, dump them.
Old 17-11-2011, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

On Nov 17, 9:28 am, wrote:
In article ,

Bertie Doe wrote:

/If ytou havn't divided the tubers in 5 years I'm not supprised they
/are not growing as tall as they first did.
/First year you probably had 2 or 3 shoots, now you are probably having
/getting on for 20..
/If you think, with herbacious plants when you divide them you take off
/younger growth on the outside and dump the Old middle,
/With large clumps of dahlias split them, possibly using a spade to cut
/them up if they are realy large, select the tubers with the younger
/stems, you will find old and dead stems and tubers, dump them.

No you are correct, I haven't divided them, although the odd one falls in
two, which gives a bonus new plant. When should they be divided, now or in
the early spring? Thanks.

Old 18-11-2011, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

On Nov 16, 3:22 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Bertie Doe" wrote ((SNIP))

Large tubers, those several years old will have to be split some
people will advocate doing it straight after lifting when the stems
are still green, others leave them till early spring.
If you have several tubers of a variety I would lift one or two in
case of a hard winter,

Mine should all be lifted by lunchtime. Would you split now or in early
spring - I have some sulphur BTW Thanks.

Old 18-11-2011, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 18, 8:31*am, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
"Dave Hill" *wrote in message

On Nov 16, 3:22 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Bertie Doe" *wrote ((SNIP))

Large tubers, those several years old will have to be split some
people will advocate doing it straight after lifting when the stems
are still green, others leave them till early spring.
If you have several tubers of a variety I would lift one or two in
case of a hard winter,

Mine should all be lifted by lunchtime. Would you split now or in early
spring - I have some sulphur BTW Thanks.

Good question,
Some people divide as soon as they lift as the old stems are softer to
cut, others leave it till spring as the tubers often come appart
easier, "You pays your money and you takes your chance."
Is it easier for you to store a lot of smaller tubers or a few large
ones.
Or you could try some and some, do a few now and leave some trill the
spring
Old 18-11-2011, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

Spring sounds favourite thanks. Who knows, the discarded bits might win me
"Best Allotment Compost Heap 2012" award.