Old 18-11-2011, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Dahlias - ok to lift and dry?

On Nov 18, 8:31*am, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
"Dave Hill" *wrote in message

On Nov 16, 3:22 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Bertie Doe" *wrote ((SNIP))

Large tubers, those several years old will have to be split some
people will advocate doing it straight after lifting when the stems
are still green, others leave them till early spring.
If you have several tubers of a variety I would lift one or two in
case of a hard winter,

Mine should all be lifted by lunchtime. Would you split now or in early
spring - I have some sulphur BTW Thanks.

Good question,
Some people divide as soon as they lift as the old stems are softer to
cut, others leave it till spring as the tubers often come appart
easier, "You pays your money and you takes your chance."
Is it easier for you to store a lot of smaller tubers or a few large
ones.
Or you could try some and some, do a few now and leave some trill the
spring