Old 18-11-2011, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John John is offline

Default Fungi Identity request

On Nov 18, 2:35*pm, Granity
wrote:
John;942023 Wrote:

Out walking the dogs and spotted a large ring of these 'Fungi pictures
by johnupatree - Photobucket' (http://tinyurl.com/78nkao4)
over thirty about the same size.
Can anyone tell me what they think they are please.
Thanks

My guess would be a clouded funnel cap (Clitocybe nebularis)
unfortunately you've cut the stem thereby denying us the identifying
feature of a bulb at the stems base. For identification purposes please
always pull the whole of the stem up as the stem base shape is
important, you mentioned they were growing in rings which is useful but
the other thing needed is the habitat they were found in as most species
only grow in a specific place such as under beach trees or in open grass
land etc.

I suggest you go to 'Rogers Mushrooms | Mushroom Pictures & Mushroom
Reference' (http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/)
and 'Fungi Britain Europe identification guide scientific names'
(http://tinyurl.com/bshdcye)

--
Granity

Thanks for the reply. I was always under the impression that cutting
was the preferred method of removal, as it did not cause so much
damage, is this incorrect?
I cut in half lengthways to see how the gills attached to the stem,
sorry! Again, I was imitating what I had seen in my mushroom and fungi
book.
I should be able to get another tomorrow, will pull it up and
photograph it uncut.
Cheers

Johno