Old 17-11-2011, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fungi Identity request

Out walking the dogs and spotted a large ring of these http://tinyurl.com/78nkao4
over thirty about the same size.
Can anyone tell me what they think they are please.
Thanks

Old 18-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Out walking the dogs and spotted a large ring of these Fungi pictures by johnupatree - Photobucket
over thirty about the same size.
Can anyone tell me what they think they are please.
Thanks
My guess would be a clouded funnel cap (Clitocybe nebularis) unfortunately you've cut the stem thereby denying us the identifying feature of a bulb at the stems base. For identification purposes please always pull the whole of the stem up as the stem base shape is important, you mentioned they were growing in rings which is useful but the other thing needed is the habitat they were found in as most species only grow in a specific place such as under beach trees or in open grass land etc.

I suggest you go to Rogers Mushrooms | Mushroom Pictures & Mushroom Reference
and Fungi Britain Europe identification guide scientific names
Old 18-11-2011, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

by johnupatree - Photobucket' (http://tinyurl.com/78nkao4)
over thirty about the same size.
Can anyone tell me what they think they are please.
Thanks

My guess would be a clouded funnel cap (Clitocybe nebularis)
unfortunately you've cut the stem thereby denying us the identifying
feature of a bulb at the stems base. For identification purposes please
always pull the whole of the stem up as the stem base shape is
important, you mentioned they were growing in rings which is useful but
the other thing needed is the habitat they were found in as most species
only grow in a specific place such as under beach trees or in open grass
land etc.

I suggest you go to 'Rogers Mushrooms | Mushroom Pictures & Mushroom
Reference' (http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/)
and 'Fungi Britain Europe identification guide scientific names'
(http://tinyurl.com/bshdcye)

--
Granity

Thanks for the reply. I was always under the impression that cutting
was the preferred method of removal, as it did not cause so much
damage, is this incorrect?
I cut in half lengthways to see how the gills attached to the stem,
sorry! Again, I was imitating what I had seen in my mushroom and fungi
book.
I should be able to get another tomorrow, will pull it up and
photograph it uncut.
Cheers

Johno
Old 19-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered User

wrote:
John;942023 Wrote:

Out walking the dogs and spotted a large ring of these 'Fungi pictures
by johnupatree - Photobucket' (Fungi pictures by johnupatree - Photobucket)
over thirty about the same size.
Can anyone tell me what they think they are please.
Thanks

My guess would be a clouded funnel cap (Clitocybe nebularis)
unfortunately you've cut the stem thereby denying us the identifying
feature of a bulb at the stems base. For identification purposes please
always pull the whole of the stem up as the stem base shape is
important, you mentioned they were growing in rings which is useful but
the other thing needed is the habitat they were found in as most species
only grow in a specific place such as under beach trees or in open grass
land etc.

I suggest you go to 'Rogers Mushrooms | Mushroom Pictures & Mushroom
Reference' (Rogers Mushrooms | Mushroom Pictures & Mushroom Reference)
and 'Fungi Britain Europe identification guide scientific names'
(Fungi Britain Europe identification guide scientific names)

--
Granity

Thanks for the reply. I was always under the impression that cutting
was the preferred method of removal, as it did not cause so much
damage, is this incorrect?
I cut in half lengthways to see how the gills attached to the stem,
sorry! Again, I was imitating what I had seen in my mushroom and fungi
book.
I should be able to get another tomorrow, will pull it up and
photograph it uncut.
Cheers

Johno
Cutting lengthways is fine and a helpful idea, cutting mushrooms is fine if you know what they are, but one of the easy way to potentially identifying the Amanita species, which contains the highly poisonous things like death caps, destroying angel etc, is that they have white gills and a volva at the base of the stem, those 2 combinations should ring alarm bells if you pick one and if you do don't lick your fingers.

I suggest you go to your local library and borrow a copy of Roger Philips "Mushrooms" and learn how to identify them, I can only make an informed "guess" looking at the photo not a definite answer.
Old 19-11-2011, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 19, 9:06*am, Granity
wrote:
John;942064 Wrote:

On Nov 18, 2:35*pm, Granity
wrote:-
-

(http://tinyurl.com/bshdcye))

--
[...]

Thanks for the helpful advice, appreciated. I actually managed to buy
the book in a charity shop this morning, talk about lucky!!
I am confident in your response, especially after looking more closely
at the specimen and its habitat. They are growing on grassland, around
a hawthorn bush on an industrial estate nearby.
I carry round a pair of disposable latex gloves just in case I see an
unknown fungi, that way I have no worries about skin contact. Picked
that tip up from going on a fungus foray several years ago.
Very best wishes
Johno

Old 20-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Out walking the dogs and spotted a large ring of these 'Fungi
pictures
by johnupatree - Photobucket' ('Fungi pictures by johnupatree -
Photobucket' (Fungi pictures by johnupatree - Photobucket)
over thirty about the same size.
Can anyone tell me what they think they are please.
Thanks-[/i][/color]

[...]

Granity[/i][/color]

Thanks for the helpful advice, appreciated. I actually managed to buy
the book in a charity shop this morning, talk about lucky!!
I am confident in your response, especially after looking more closely
at the specimen and its habitat. They are growing on grassland, around
a hawthorn bush on an industrial estate nearby.
I carry round a pair of disposable latex gloves just in case I see an
unknown fungi, that way I have no worries about skin contact. Picked
that tip up from going on a fungus foray several years ago.
Very best wishes
Johno
Good, well done, there's a whole world of edible fungi out there once you're confident in the identification a lot of them much more tasty than shop brought ones, the Boleti family being the safest to start on as they only have a couple of poisonous ones, both with red pores, but still identify them as there are several inedible ones such as the peppery Bolitus.
I would be very careful about eating anything growing on ex industrial land unless you know what the industry was because of heavy metal contamination.
Old 20-11-2011, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I would be very careful about eating anything growing on ex industrial
land unless you know what the industry was because of heavy metal
contamination.

Quite agree about not eating anything without a positive ID. We have
enough Field/Horse mushrooms here to keep us going for ages, we
usually dry a load too. Wood Blewits are often abundant, and I have
found the odd Morrel, wish I could find more!
The industrial estate is built on old farmland, my partner remembers
playing on the fields as a girl. The area were the specimens I found
are at the rear of a car showroom. Not seen anything edible in this
area, but would be happy to eat them if I did. Sound advice though.

Johno
Old 15-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Registered User

BMES-experience has given us Knowledge in conveying different kind of materials and also designing Custom Built Equipment's. Pneumatic Conveying System, Bag Slitting machine manufacturers in India.