Old 20-11-2011, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Amos Nomore Amos Nomore is offline

Default Vine to shield junque area

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I am redoing the back area where I keep garden equipment -- tools,
bins, shelves -- other unsightly but necessary,"junque" back against
the property fence.

Idea is to create a visual screen by hanging a net upon which to train
up a vine, thus freeing up most of the area for decorative plants/
shrubs, plus maybe small table w/chairs.

Seeking recommendations for a REALLY fast-growing vine, preferably one
that blooms all year (yeah!), does not become unsightly, grows in nice
and thick, does not lose leaves in "winter".

(Soil is very fertile, area having previously housed laying hens!)

Your valuable input sought for this area -- So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Silver Lace Vine, Polygonum aubertii, may fit the bill. It's somewhat
invasive in some locales if neglected. Mine are very well behaved,
super fast-growing and bloom constantly here in New Mexico. They
require very little water. I'm not sure if they're evergreen in
frost-free regions but it takes a hard freeze for mine to even think
about dropping their leaves.