Old 20-11-2011, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Vine to shield junque area

I am redoing the back area where I keep garden equipment -- tools,
bins, shelves -- other unsightly but necessary,"junque" back against
the property fence.

Idea is to create a visual screen by hanging a net upon which to train
up a vine, thus freeing up most of the area for decorative plants/
shrubs, plus maybe small table w/chairs.

Seeking recommendations for a REALLY fast-growing vine, preferably one
that blooms all year (yeah!), does not become unsightly, grows in nice
and thick, does not lose leaves in "winter".

(Soil is very fertile, area having previously housed laying hens!)

Your valuable input sought for this area -- So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Old 20-11-2011, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I am redoing the back area where I keep garden equipment -- tools,
bins, shelves -- other unsightly but necessary,"junque" back against
the property fence.

Idea is to create a visual screen by hanging a net upon which to train
up a vine, thus freeing up most of the area for decorative plants/
shrubs, plus maybe small table w/chairs.

Seeking recommendations for a REALLY fast-growing vine, preferably one
that blooms all year (yeah!), does not become unsightly, grows in nice
and thick, does not lose leaves in "winter".

(Soil is very fertile, area having previously housed laying hens!)

Your valuable input sought for this area -- So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Silver Lace Vine, Polygonum aubertii, may fit the bill. It's somewhat
invasive in some locales if neglected. Mine are very well behaved,
super fast-growing and bloom constantly here in New Mexico. They
require very little water. I'm not sure if they're evergreen in
frost-free regions but it takes a hard freeze for mine to even think
about dropping their leaves.
Old 20-11-2011, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/20/11 9:22 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I am redoing the back area where I keep garden equipment -- tools,
bins, shelves -- other unsightly but necessary,"junque" back against
the property fence.

Idea is to create a visual screen by hanging a net upon which to train
up a vine, thus freeing up most of the area for decorative plants/
shrubs, plus maybe small table w/chairs.

Seeking recommendations for a REALLY fast-growing vine, preferably one
that blooms all year (yeah!), does not become unsightly, grows in nice
and thick, does not lose leaves in "winter".

(Soil is very fertile, area having previously housed laying hens!)

Your valuable input sought for this area -- So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

In your area, Bougainvillea or star jasmine (Trachelospermum) should do
very well.

I once saw a house in Santa Monica completely covered with
Bougainvillea. This vine grows quite quickly. It requires full sun and
ample water before blooming. Because of its very nasty thorns,
Bougainvillea is good on a property-line fence. It has a very long
bloom period. In Thousand Oaks, it's still in bloom at Gardens of the
World.

Star jasmine is somewhat slower and might require 2-3 years to provide a
complete screen. It has no thorns. Star jasmine blooms on and off from
late spring well into the fall. The flowers are very fragrant. Star
jasmine requires full or part sun and ample water.

Instead of netting, use chicken wire. It's more permanent. Both
Bougainvillea and star jasmine might require some training since neither
has "hold fasts" to cling to a surface. Bougainvillea might have a more
open growth; star jasmine grows quite dense, completely hiding whatever
is behind it. Both are evergreen.

Check Sunset's "Western Garden Book" for details about both vines.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 20-11-2011, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
I am redoing the back area where I keep garden equipment -- tools,
bins, shelves -- other unsightly but necessary,"junque" back against
the property fence.

Idea is to create a visual screen by hanging a net upon which to train
up a vine, thus freeing up most of the area for decorative plants/
shrubs, plus maybe small table w/chairs.

Seeking recommendations for a REALLY fast-growing vine, preferably one
that blooms all year (yeah!), does not become unsightly, grows in nice
and thick, does not lose leaves in "winter".

(Soil is very fertile, area having previously housed laying hens!)

Your valuable input sought for this area -- So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Why would you want to grow a vine on a net? A good solid trellis will last
longer, sag less and look better. Some of the more vigorous vines, like
bougainvillia, will pull your net down or the bit of string holding it up.

Old 21-11-2011, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 20, 1:05*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

***Yes, you're right about trellis, David. I have 1 piece & would
have to get 2 more to bridge a 15''span. Hard to find a friend/
neighbor with a pickup to take me to a HD or lumber place to pick up
the trellis-es, the fasteners to hold the frame to the garage wall &
alley block wall, and the required lumber to build the support
structure. Also, 1 piece has to be hinged to get access to the stuff
behind the screen, so that piece can't have vine growing on it.

Right now, I'm collecting recommendations for the vine. I have
bougainvillea and star jasmine growing in other parts of the garden -
thanks David Ross -- and would like to try something different, like
maybe the silver lace vine that Amos recommended.

Any more vine suggestions?

(Or comments on my structure plans?)

TIA

HB

[IMG] code is On

Shield bugs on raspberrys Tom Warner United Kingdom 1 11-09-2004 07:00 AM
Where to find Persian Shield (Strobianthus) Ronald Rudin North Carolina 2 23-04-2004 03:04 AM
Persian Shield Mark Fawcett Gardening 3 21-11-2003 04:22 PM
clear plastic "shield" to keep rain off and bug spray on Lyne Gardening 3 15-08-2003 05:22 PM