Old 21-11-2011, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unknown black berries

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2011-11-21 09:25:44 +0000, NT said:

Found these last week, on a very low grower... any ideas?
http://i41.tinypic.com/qn3e42.jpg
NT

Leycesteria formosa? It actually grows into quite a tall shrub but
seems to take on different forms in different places. But it flowers
and fruits when still young, so you could get berries on an immature
one. If that's what it is, it seeds itself all over the place and
grows out of nooks and crannies in wall, too. It's a very handsome
plant but one can have too much of a good thiing!

Leycesteria formosa has terminal bracteate inflorescences. The leaves in
the photograph are too battered for easy identification, but I'd plump
for Solanum nigrum.

Leycesteria formosa is less aggressive around here. I've recorded it at
8 localities. (A tenth of the tally for Buddleia davidii, and Buddleia
davidii occurs in large colonies, while Leycesteria formosa occurs as
single plants.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley