Old 21-11-2011, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default Unknown black berries

Found these last week, on a very low grower... any ideas?
http://i41.tinypic.com/qn3e42.jpg

NT
Old 21-11-2011, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2011-11-21 09:25:44 +0000, NT said:

Found these last week, on a very low grower... any ideas?
http://i41.tinypic.com/qn3e42.jpg
NT

Leycesteria formosa? It actually grows into quite a tall shrub but
seems to take on different forms in different places. But it flowers
and fruits when still young, so you could get berries on an immature
one. If that's what it is, it seeds itself all over the place and
grows out of nooks and crannies in wall, too. It's a very handsome
plant but one can have too much of a good thiing!

Leycesteria formosa has terminal bracteate inflorescences. The leaves in
the photograph are too battered for easy identification, but I'd plump
for Solanum nigrum.

Leycesteria formosa is less aggressive around here. I've recorded it at
8 localities. (A tenth of the tally for Buddleia davidii, and Buddleia
davidii occurs in large colonies, while Leycesteria formosa occurs as
single plants.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-11-2011, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NT" wrote in message
Found these last week, on a very low grower... any ideas?
http://i41.tinypic.com/qn3e42.jpg

My money's on Black Nightshade (Solanum nigrum).
See thread started by mudcow007 four days ago.
R.

Old 21-11-2011, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ragnar wrote:

"NT" wrote in message
Found these last week, on a very low grower... any ideas?
http://i41.tinypic.com/qn3e42.jpg

My money's on Black Nightshade (Solanum nigrum).
See thread started by mudcow007 four days ago.

Yup. Eat them at your own risk! My research indicated that they
both are widely eaten and (relatively mild) poisoning is widely
reported. The papers didn't have a clue why.

I tried one once, and found it unexciting. No, I didn't suffer
any ill effects.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-11-2011, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:17:00 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

In article ,
Ragnar wrote:

"NT" wrote in message
Found these last week, on a very low grower... any ideas?
http://i41.tinypic.com/qn3e42.jpg

My money's on Black Nightshade (Solanum nigrum).
See thread started by mudcow007 four days ago.

Yup. Eat them at your own risk! My research indicated that they
both are widely eaten and (relatively mild) poisoning is widely
reported. The papers didn't have a clue why.

I tried one once, and found it unexciting. No, I didn't suffer
any ill effects.

Is that the one that widens your pupils, dilates your blood vessels
and then if you have enough gives you a heart attack?

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 21-11-2011, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ragnar wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

Found these last week, on a very low grower... any ideas?
http://i41.tinypic.com/qn3e42.jpg

My money's on Black Nightshade (Solanum nigrum).
See thread started by mudcow007 four days ago.

Yup. Eat them at your own risk! My research indicated that they
both are widely eaten and (relatively mild) poisoning is widely
reported. The papers didn't have a clue why.

I tried one once, and found it unexciting. No, I didn't suffer
any ill effects.

Is that the one that widens your pupils, dilates your blood vessels
and then if you have enough gives you a heart attack?

No. That's Atropa belladonna (deadly nightshade), not Solanum
nigrum (black nightshade).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-11-2011, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mogga
writes

Ragnar wrote:

"NT" wrote in message
Found these last week, on a very low grower... any ideas?
http://i41.tinypic.com/qn3e42.jpg

My money's on Black Nightshade (Solanum nigrum).
See thread started by mudcow007 four days ago.

Yup. Eat them at your own risk! My research indicated that they
both are widely eaten and (relatively mild) poisoning is widely
reported. The papers didn't have a clue why.

I tried one once, and found it unexciting. No, I didn't suffer
any ill effects.

Is that the one that widens your pupils, dilates your blood vessels
and then if you have enough gives you a heart attack?

That sounds like deadly nightshade (Atropa belladonna). Wikipedia says
that enough (to kill you) is 10 to 20 berries (less for a child).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-11-2011, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/11/2011 14:03, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , mogga
writes

Ragnar wrote:

"NT" wrote in message

Found these last week, on a very low grower... any ideas?
http://i41.tinypic.com/qn3e42.jpg

My money's on Black Nightshade (Solanum nigrum).
See thread started by mudcow007 four days ago.

Yup. Eat them at your own risk! My research indicated that they
both are widely eaten and (relatively mild) poisoning is widely
reported. The papers didn't have a clue why.

I tried one once, and found it unexciting. No, I didn't suffer
any ill effects.

Is that the one that widens your pupils, dilates your blood vessels
and then if you have enough gives you a heart attack?

That sounds like deadly nightshade (Atropa belladonna). Wikipedia says
that enough (to kill you) is 10 to 20 berries (less for a child).

With all kinds of interesting effects between 0 and 10 I believe.