Old 04-12-2011, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Chisholm Jim Chisholm is offline

Default Potatoes, and suitable for planting?

On 02/12/2011 17:42, AL_n wrote:
Throughout the year I occasionally potatoes from my local supermarket (for
cooking purposes) and after keeping them for a while, sometimes they start
sprouting. If this happens, does it mean they are suitable for planting in
the garden? I live on the South coast of England, with its fairly mild
climate, if that's relevant.

I would assume the answer is "yes", but I'm asking this because I've never
heard of anyone planting spuds from the supermarket.

TIA

Al

The reason for not doing this is because of virus diseases. If few do
it, it may be fine, but you may note that certified seed potatoes are
often grown in Scotland, and generally on higher ground, and the land is
supposed to be certified as free from certain diseases.

If you want virus diseases, and don't mind spreading them to others that
is fine. This is especially likely with potatoes from an unknown source.

see:
http://www.the-organic-gardener.com/seed-potato.html.

Just think of all those diseases of plants and trees that now occur due
to imported diseases. Cooking potatoes won't pass any disease on but
growing them will!

A similar problem occurs with Honey...
My father kept bees. A rubbish tip was opened within a mile. Bees are
lazy. They 'cleaned' jars of imported honey. Bees got disease and had to
be destroyed. Bee Inspector said it was an increasingly common problem
due to imports of disease ridden honey.

Jim