Old 02-12-2011, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes, and suitable for planting?

Throughout the year I occasionally potatoes from my local supermarket (for
cooking purposes) and after keeping them for a while, sometimes they start
sprouting. If this happens, does it mean they are suitable for planting in
the garden? I live on the South coast of England, with its fairly mild
climate, if that's relevant.

I would assume the answer is "yes", but I'm asking this because I've never
heard of anyone planting spuds from the supermarket.

TIA

Al
Old 02-12-2011, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/12/2011 17:42, AL_n wrote:
Throughout the year I occasionally potatoes from my local supermarket (for
cooking purposes) and after keeping them for a while, sometimes they start
sprouting. If this happens, does it mean they are suitable for planting in
the garden? I live on the South coast of England, with its fairly mild
climate, if that's relevant.

I would assume the answer is "yes", but I'm asking this because I've never
heard of anyone planting spuds from the supermarket.

TIA

Al

I had a very good crop of King Edwards that way.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 2, 5:42*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
Throughout the year I occasionally potatoes from my local supermarket (for
cooking purposes) and after keeping them for a while, sometimes they start
sprouting. If this happens, does it mean they are suitable for planting in
the garden? I live on the South coast of England, with its fairly mild
climate, if that's relevant.

I would assume the answer is "yes", but I'm asking this because I've never
heard of anyone planting spuds from the supermarket.

TIA

Al

No reason why not.
I often do it to fill up any space left over.
Even if the sprouts are quite long.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

AL_n wrote:
I would assume the answer is "yes", but I'm asking this because I've never
heard of anyone planting spuds from the supermarket.

We do it all the time, and my dad did it for years before I did.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote

Throughout the year I occasionally potatoes from my local supermarket (for
cooking purposes) and after keeping them for a while, sometimes they start
sprouting. If this happens, does it mean they are suitable for planting in
the garden? I live on the South coast of England, with its fairly mild
climate, if that's relevant.

I would assume the answer is "yes", but I'm asking this because I've never
heard of anyone planting spuds from the supermarket.

One of the old allotment gardeners on a previous site never bought seed
potatoes he always went to the supermarket and bought the cheapest and
biggest potatoes he could get, chitted and planted those. He always had a
superb crop of huge spuds.
It does seem that the bigger the seed potato the bigger the resulting
potatoes.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote ...

AL_n wrote:
Throughout the year I occasionally potatoes from my local supermarket
(for
cooking purposes) and after keeping them for a while, sometimes they
start
sprouting. If this happens, does it mean they are suitable for planting
in
the garden? I live on the South coast of England, with its fairly mild
climate, if that's relevant.

I would assume the answer is "yes", but I'm asking this because I've
never
heard of anyone planting spuds from the supermarket.

I had a very good crop of King Edwards that way.

Can't grow them, got clay in our silt soil.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"AL_n" wrote

[...]

I remember during the war my Dad used to chit the potatoes, then cut them
into pieces with a chit or two on each, and of course get some for the pot
if possible. One spud 3 or 4 plants :-)

Mike

Old 02-12-2011, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 2, 5:42*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
Throughout the year I occasionally potatoes from my local supermarket (for
cooking purposes) and after keeping them for a while, sometimes they start
sprouting. If this happens, does it mean they are suitable for planting in
the garden? I live on the South coast of England, with its fairly mild
climate, if that's relevant.

I would assume the answer is "yes", but I'm asking this because I've never
heard of anyone planting spuds from the supermarket.

TIA

Al

The chief differance between Seed potatoes and those grown for food
crops is that seed potatoes are tested to certify them free from
blight and other disieases, but 99 times out of 100 you will have no
problems growing supermarket spuds.
David
Old 03-12-2011, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article 4c84a1a3-ee0d-4014-8d70-
bd88b4baf43e@
The chief differance between Seed potatoes and those grown for food
crops is that seed potatoes are tested to certify them free from
blight and other disieases, but 99 times out of 100 you will have no
problems growing supermarket spuds.

Some supermarket potatoes have been treated with a growth inhibitor.

Janet

Maybe Janet, but you've just taken the thrill out of trying :-)

We had quite a decent crop this year after planting a few spud pieces
alongside our runner beans. Must give it a go again next year, perhaps on a
slightly larger scale.

Bill

Old 03-12-2011, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message
In article 4c84a1a3-ee0d-4014-8d70-
bd88b4baf43e@
The chief differance between Seed potatoes and those grown for food
crops is that seed potatoes are tested to certify them free from
blight and other disieases, but 99 times out of 100 you will have no
problems growing supermarket spuds.

Some supermarket potatoes have been treated with a growth inhibitor.

Janet

Maybe Janet, but you've just taken the thrill out of trying :-)

We had quite a decent crop this year after planting a few spud pieces
alongside our runner beans. Must give it a go again next year, perhaps on
a slightly larger scale.

Bill

"" a few spud pieces""

Thank you Bill. Perhaps you were toooooooooooo busy using this
newsgroup/forum as a means of public email facility to notice that I had
already covered this matter/system.

Maybe you are toooooooooooo young to remember World War II
.......................... Lucky you.

Kindest possible regards

Mike

Old 03-12-2011, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

* *Some supermarket potatoes have been treated with a growth
inhibitor.

* *Janet

I must be going to the wrong supermarkets then.
If your potatoes sprout then go ahead and plant them
David
Old 04-12-2011, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/12/2011 17:42, AL_n wrote:
Throughout the year I occasionally potatoes from my local supermarket (for
cooking purposes) and after keeping them for a while, sometimes they start
sprouting. If this happens, does it mean they are suitable for planting in
the garden? I live on the South coast of England, with its fairly mild
climate, if that's relevant.

I would assume the answer is "yes", but I'm asking this because I've never
heard of anyone planting spuds from the supermarket.

TIA

Al

The reason for not doing this is because of virus diseases. If few do
it, it may be fine, but you may note that certified seed potatoes are
often grown in Scotland, and generally on higher ground, and the land is
supposed to be certified as free from certain diseases.

If you want virus diseases, and don't mind spreading them to others that
is fine. This is especially likely with potatoes from an unknown source.

see:
http://www.the-organic-gardener.com/seed-potato.html.

Just think of all those diseases of plants and trees that now occur due
to imported diseases. Cooking potatoes won't pass any disease on but
growing them will!

A similar problem occurs with Honey...
My father kept bees. A rubbish tip was opened within a mile. Bees are
lazy. They 'cleaned' jars of imported honey. Bees got disease and had to
be destroyed. Bee Inspector said it was an increasingly common problem
due to imports of disease ridden honey.

Jim

Old 04-12-2011, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Throughout the year I occasionally potatoes from my local supermarket (for
cooking purposes) and after keeping them for a while, sometimes they start
sprouting. If this happens, does it mean they are suitable for planting in
the garden? I live on the South coast of England, with its fairly mild
climate, if that's relevant.

I would assume the answer is "yes", but I'm asking this because I've never
heard of anyone planting spuds from the supermarket.

I agree with David about the' seed potatoes' being grown at a high altitude
to prevent blight etc, but last year had a few new potatoes that had
sprouted and past their best for eating, so rather than waste them I
planted them and had a reasonable crop with no problems, so it's worth a
try; although for my plot of new potatoes next year I will still use
certified ones.

Ros, on the south coast also
Old 04-12-2011, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I agree with David about the' seed potatoes' being grown at a high altitude
to prevent blight etc, but last year had a few new potatoes that had
sprouted and past their best for eating, so rather than waste them I
planted them and had a reasonable crop with no problems, so it's worth a
try; although for my plot of new potatoes next year I will still use
certified ones.

I forgot to add that I planted the uncertified ones well away from anything
else, as we're lucky to have a large garden.
Ros