Old 04-12-2011, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Geraniums/ Zonal PG

"Dave Hill" wrote

stuart noble wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote

David WE Roberts wrote:
Still flowering and putting out new buds.
What is the best way to over winter them?
Just put them in a shed?

I am reluctant to bring them in until the weather turns really
frosty,
but after that I am not sure that a shed will keep them above 0C.

Will they be O.K. in their current pots away from serious frost?

Amazing how damp it gets in a shed, and that's what does for them IME.
I lost all mine last year so I'm trying a plastic cold frame lined
with bubble wrap this time. No condensation so far.

They are best kept on the dry side during cold conditions so you need
bring them indoors onto a windowsill in a cold room until the soil
dries
out then you could put them out in the shed as long as it stays frost
free. Alternatively take lots of cuttings, pot them up , water them,
put
them on a windowsill and don't water them again unless they wilt late
winter.

Do houses have cold rooms these days?- Hide quoted text -

Yes
believe it or not, not everyone has central heating

Even with central heating there is usually a "spare" room that is not kept
too warm.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.