Old 03-12-2011, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Geraniums/ Zonal PG

Still flowering and putting out new buds.
What is the best way to over winter them?
Just put them in a shed?

I am reluctant to bring them in until the weather turns really frosty, but
after that I am not sure that a shed will keep them above 0C.

Will they be O.K. in their current pots away from serious frost?

Chers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/12/2011 23:50, David WE Roberts wrote:
Still flowering and putting out new buds.
What is the best way to over winter them?
Just put them in a shed?

I am reluctant to bring them in until the weather turns really frosty,
but after that I am not sure that a shed will keep them above 0C.

Will they be O.K. in their current pots away from serious frost?

Chers

Dave R

Amazing how damp it gets in a shed, and that's what does for them IME. I
lost all mine last year so I'm trying a plastic cold frame lined with
bubble wrap this time. No condensation so far.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote

David WE Roberts wrote:
Still flowering and putting out new buds.
What is the best way to over winter them?
Just put them in a shed?

I am reluctant to bring them in until the weather turns really frosty,
but after that I am not sure that a shed will keep them above 0C.

Will they be O.K. in their current pots away from serious frost?

Amazing how damp it gets in a shed, and that's what does for them IME. I
lost all mine last year so I'm trying a plastic cold frame lined with
bubble wrap this time. No condensation so far.

They are best kept on the dry side during cold conditions so you need to
bring them indoors onto a windowsill in a cold room until the soil dries out
then you could put them out in the shed as long as it stays frost free.
Alternatively take lots of cuttings, pot them up , water them, put them on a
windowsill and don't water them again unless they wilt late winter.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/12/2011 15:10, Bob Hobden wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Do houses have cold rooms these days?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Do houses have cold rooms these days?- Hide quoted text -

Yes
believe it or not, not everyone has central heating

Old 04-12-2011, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote

stuart noble wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Even with central heating there is usually a "spare" room that is not kept
too warm.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"stuart noble" wrote

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

We don't have nearly enough window cills to fit all the pots and planters.
However we could bring them inside the patio doors to dry out for a bit.
Although they are already pretty dry in drought ridden Suffolk.
I had to water some the other day to stop them blowing around, the compost
was so light.

I think my large shed is big enough to avoid the damp, so I'll try either
that or the garage.
I assume low light should not be a problem.

Cheers

Old 04-12-2011, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/12/2011 18:29, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"stuart noble" wrote

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Dry cellars or on top of wardrobes used to be the thing, so I guess
light isn't required
Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

I am reluctant to bring them in until the weather turns really frosty, but
after that I am not sure that a shed will keep them above 0C.

Will they be O.K. in their current pots away from serious frost?

They only need a touch of frost to kill them off so dont wait till
you've had frost to bring them in.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Alternatively take lots of cuttings, pot them up , water them, put them
on a windowsill

A cold window sill Bob?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , stuart noble
writes
Do houses have cold rooms these days?

My utility room hasn't got any heating but is quite large and has a
concrete floor. It's decidedly nippy if you go in there and get the
washing out of the machine in this cold weather!!

When we had the puppies in there we always have two heaters and a lamp
in there.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

geraniums in rocky soil Jessica Gardening 4 17-04-2003 05:44 PM
Geraniums Mitch Kosklin Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Pelargoniums/geraniums newby question Carol Kavanagh Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
hardy geraniums - id and germination Victoria Clare United Kingdom 9 28-03-2003 07:44 PM
Help with Regal Geraniums [email protected] United Kingdom 1 02-03-2003 06:45 PM