Old 04-12-2011, 11:16 PM
uriel13 uriel13 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
I suggested Nick empty the dregs/solid remains of his winemaking onto the
compost. He was horrified and said the alcohol would kill all the bacteria.
I suppose it makes sense, although I'd expect the alcohol to have to be
stronger than wine-strength to do a major cleansing job.

Is there anything else we can do with it? (Perhaps I should have put it
under the rhubarbs when I replanted them yesterday!) I know certain
fruiting veg, such as pumpkin, are meant to appreciate being drenched in
beer during the fattening up season, but I don't fancy holding on to the
wine rubbish for /another/ year.

Suggestions, please?

--
Hi,

I have been using dreg of home brew in the compost bins for about 30 years. The bins are very healthy and produce good quality compost.

It won't harm the bacteria because the alcohol is fermented as opposed to distilled. Bacteria are well capable of breaking down fermented alcohol into a food source which they can consume.

Just don't add too much at once or you will end up with a soggy mess!!!

uriel13