Old 04-12-2011, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default What can we do with homebrew 'dregs'?

I suggested Nick empty the dregs/solid remains of his winemaking onto the
compost. He was horrified and said the alcohol would kill all the bacteria.
I suppose it makes sense, although I'd expect the alcohol to have to be
stronger than wine-strength to do a major cleansing job.

Is there anything else we can do with it? (Perhaps I should have put it
under the rhubarbs when I replanted them yesterday!) I know certain
fruiting veg, such as pumpkin, are meant to appreciate being drenched in
beer during the fattening up season, but I don't fancy holding on to the
wine rubbish for /another/ year.

Suggestions, please?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Dec 2011 18:11:01 GMT, wrote:

I suggested Nick empty the dregs/solid remains of his winemaking onto the
compost. He was horrified and said the alcohol would kill all the bacteria.
I suppose it makes sense, although I'd expect the alcohol to have to be
stronger than wine-strength to do a major cleansing job.

Is there anything else we can do with it? (Perhaps I should have put it
under the rhubarbs when I replanted them yesterday!) I know certain
fruiting veg, such as pumpkin, are meant to appreciate being drenched in
beer during the fattening up season, but I don't fancy holding on to the
wine rubbish for /another/ year.

Suggestions, please?

At least the bacteria would die happy...

Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much - unless he's working on and
industrial scale.

What I would like to know is how I can dispose of befouled cooking
oil. I am reluctant to encourage the local fauna.

JonH
Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
I suggested Nick empty the dregs/solid remains of his winemaking onto the
compost. He was horrified and said the alcohol would kill all the
bacteria.
I suppose it makes sense, although I'd expect the alcohol to have to be
stronger than wine-strength to do a major cleansing job.

Is there anything else we can do with it? (Perhaps I should have put it
under the rhubarbs when I replanted them yesterday!) I know certain
fruiting veg, such as pumpkin, are meant to appreciate being drenched in
beer during the fattening up season, but I don't fancy holding on to the
wine rubbish for /another/ year.

No worse than putting fermenting rotten apples on a compost heap, surely?

Of course, the residue from an illicit still is another matter ;-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 04-12-2011, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David WE Roberts wrote:
No worse than putting fermenting rotten apples on a compost heap, surely?

Hmm, also a good point.

Of course, the residue from an illicit still is another matter ;-)

Don't give him ideas!!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Dec 2011 18:47:58 GMT, wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:
No worse than putting fermenting rotten apples on a compost heap, surely?

Hmm, also a good point.

Of course, the residue from an illicit still is another matter ;-)

Don't give him ideas!!

I have been made aware of this:

http://www.expats.org.uk/features/al...blueflame.html

There are other publications available. I cannot testify to the
safety of the products resulting from their advice.

Regards
JonH
Old 04-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post

--
Hi,

I have been using dreg of home brew in the compost bins for about 30 years. The bins are very healthy and produce good quality compost.

It won't harm the bacteria because the alcohol is fermented as opposed to distilled. Bacteria are well capable of breaking down fermented alcohol into a food source which they can consume.

Just don't add too much at once or you will end up with a soggy mess!!!

uriel13
Old 04-12-2011, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 Vicky wrote:

I suggested Nick empty the dregs/solid remains of his winemaking onto the
compost. He was horrified and said the alcohol would kill all the bacteria.
I suppose it makes sense, although I'd expect the alcohol to have to be
stronger than wine-strength to do a major cleansing job.

No harm will come to the compost heap, I assure you.

I always pour the dregs over my vines in the belief that the yeast will
become endemic and coat the grapes the following year. I believe it to
have worked as I have sometimes fermented grapes successfully in the
past without adding any cultured yeast.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David Rance wrote:
I suggested Nick empty the dregs/solid remains of his winemaking onto the
compost. He was horrified and said the alcohol would kill all the bacteria.
I suppose it makes sense, although I'd expect the alcohol to have to be
stronger than wine-strength to do a major cleansing job.

No harm will come to the compost heap, I assure you.

I always pour the dregs over my vines in the belief that the yeast will
become endemic and coat the grapes the following year. I believe it to
have worked as I have sometimes fermented grapes successfully in the
past without adding any cultured yeast.

Darn, didn't catch Nick in time, he flushed it down the toilet. :-(
Although that was only "giant demijon number 1", so quite a lot to go, if he
ever gets around to it.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Rance wrote:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 Vicky wrote:

I suggested Nick empty the dregs/solid remains of his winemaking onto the
compost. He was horrified and said the alcohol would kill all the bacteria.
I suppose it makes sense, although I'd expect the alcohol to have to be
stronger than wine-strength to do a major cleansing job.

No harm will come to the compost heap, I assure you.

Indeed. Even if it kills some on contact, their corpses will simply
encourage a growth boom of bacteria!

I always pour the dregs over my vines in the belief that the yeast will
become endemic and coat the grapes the following year. I believe it to
have worked as I have sometimes fermented grapes successfully in the
past without adding any cultured yeast.

Well, as that was the way that it always used to be done, I suspect
that your actions weren't the primary cause :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Dec 2011 18:11:01 GMT, wrote:

I suggested Nick empty the dregs/solid remains of his winemaking onto the
compost. He was horrified and said the alcohol would kill all the bacteria.
I suppose it makes sense, although I'd expect the alcohol to have to be
stronger than wine-strength to do a major cleansing job.

Is there anything else we can do with it? (Perhaps I should have put it
under the rhubarbs when I replanted them yesterday!) I know certain
fruiting veg, such as pumpkin, are meant to appreciate being drenched in
beer during the fattening up season, but I don't fancy holding on to the
wine rubbish for /another/ year.

Suggestions, please?

Bottle it and market is as 'slug drowning liquid'
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 05-12-2011, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
On 4 Dec 2011 18:11:01 GMT, wrote:

I suggested Nick empty the dregs/solid remains of his winemaking onto the
compost. He was horrified and said the alcohol would kill all the
bacteria.
I suppose it makes sense, although I'd expect the alcohol to have to be
stronger than wine-strength to do a major cleansing job.

Is there anything else we can do with it? (Perhaps I should have put it
under the rhubarbs when I replanted them yesterday!) I know certain
fruiting veg, such as pumpkin, are meant to appreciate being drenched in
beer during the fattening up season, but I don't fancy holding on to the
wine rubbish for /another/ year.

Suggestions, please?

Bottle it and market is as 'slug drowning liquid'

I always put the remains from my homebrew into bottles and then use it in
slug traps, it's very effective.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:14 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
Darn, didn't catch Nick in time, he flushed it down the toilet. :-(
Although that was only "giant demijon number 1", so quite a lot to go, if he
ever gets around to it.
Have you asked him what the effect will be on the local sewage farm? ;-)
__________________
Old 05-12-2011, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 Nick Maclaren wrote:

I suggested Nick empty the dregs/solid remains of his winemaking onto the
compost. He was horrified and said the alcohol would kill all the bacteria.
I suppose it makes sense, although I'd expect the alcohol to have to be
stronger than wine-strength to do a major cleansing job.

No harm will come to the compost heap, I assure you.

Indeed. Even if it kills some on contact, their corpses will simply
encourage a growth boom of bacteria!

I always pour the dregs over my vines in the belief that the yeast will
become endemic and coat the grapes the following year. I believe it to
have worked as I have sometimes fermented grapes successfully in the
past without adding any cultured yeast.

Well, as that was the way that it always used to be done, I suspect
that your actions weren't the primary cause :-)

It works in a wine growing area but where there is little or no
viticulture the chances of a wild yeast (something apiculata) which
unrelated to wine yeast (something cerevisiae) will get in and ruin the
brew.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Rance
writes
[...]

Kloeckera apiculata (Google is my friend) and Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley