Old 27-02-2003, 03:51 AM
B & J

Default Question trees downed by winter ice and snow

"Lark84321" wrote in message
Subject: Question trees downed by winter ice and snow

Hello John,
I did have the trees tied. They didn't break apart, but they just came out

by
the roots after heavy ice and high winds. I couldn't do anything with ice.

was knocking snow off all winter, but that ice was thick. I may plant

them
again and just hope for an easier winter.
I am in Zone 6 SE Pa. - Jenny

Sorry to hear that, Jenny. I was under the impression that the trees split
from the weight of the snow and ice, but often tying them tightly in the
fall greatly decreases surface area and thus the accumulation weight. That
must have been some ice storm!

John