Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
WD

Default onyx sand?

"Boris" wrote in message
ogers.com...
Is onyx sand easier to wash than flourite? It took me hours to wash

flourite
before using it in the aquarium.

The first few bags I didn't rinse thouroghly enough. The fine particles made
the tank totally grey, less than 1 inch visibility. I let it sit for days,
the stuff wouldn't settle. I tried filtering it out. The filters couldn't
filter out anything that fine, and didn't have any type of filters on hand
that could handle such. I ended up doing like a 500% water change all told.
I put the python in on one side with fresh water coming in, and put a hose
siphoning ou tthe other side. Let it go for about 2 hours.
The other 2 bags I bough I dumped in a 5 gallon bucket, put the hose in
and swirled my hand around until the water was well, not as bad. About 15
minutes. *Some* fines, so I'm told, make for a better substrate.