Old 27-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Shiva

Default Granada

Daniel wrote:

Only about 18 inches, Shiva. But I have some similar plantings from
last July at 6' now, so let's see what I can coax out of this one. :-)

That's not a bad size! The two I got from Roses Unlimited in SC last fall
were maybe 12 inches tall, but very healthy. I went out and surveyed the
winter damage today and everybody looks good. I'm just waiting for the
Forsythia to bloom so that I can prune. Do you have Forsythia there?

Yes, it smells good all right!

Oh, man, I could just eat them up.

I'll remember you tips on cutting.
There are many other varieties that I'd say the same for, including
Paradise, Black Velvet, Voodoo and Dame Elisabeth Murdoch.

Add Rio Samba to the list. I think I need Voodoo, don't you? Black Velvet
is a floribunda? Or not?

You've never seen a self-watering pot? Here's some:

http://www.heyne.com.au/gardencentre...ets/decor2.php

They look neat, but can it be that the roses never actually sit in water?

They are different from a normal pot with a water saucer. The base of
the pot is a concealed water reservoir. Water is kept away from direct
contact with the roots in the pot by an overflow hole, preventing
waterlogging. The roots can access water by capillary action through a
'wick' in the centre of the base which connects the reservoir to the
soil. Very popular in dry climates like Australia. My roses work
beautifully with them.

Well I've got to find some of these and try them. If they aren't too
expensive I'll give a few a try.