Old 27-12-2011, 08:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Transplanting carrots

Higgs Boson wrote:

I just harvested some carrots which I had earlier transplanted. They
seemed to do very well. But what's weird is that these carrots had
"hair" all down the length of them.

Is that normal for a transplant? I don't do it that often. Never
noticed this before. IAre these carrot putting out tiny rootlets as
they adjust to new home? That's all I can think of.

Your input valued.

a root hair is increased root surface area
for absorbing nutrients/moisture.

as the plants were originally grown they
would have had their soil environment all
situated right from the start. in other
words they'd have their root surface area
in close contact with the surrounding
soil moisture and organisms.

when transplanting you remove their
support network so they would have to
replace it.

how do they taste? those hairs would
come off with scrubbing or peeling. so
no big deal there, but i'm wondering if
they'd be less tender or sweet.

was the soil quality different between
the starting spot and the finishing spot?
was the finishing spot sandier and dryer?

songbird