Old 27-12-2011, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Transplanting carrots

I just harvested some carrots which I had earlier transplanted. They
seemed to do very well. But what's weird is that these carrots had
"hair" all down the length of them.

Is that normal for a transplant? I don't do it that often. Never
noticed this before. IAre these carrot putting out tiny rootlets as
they adjust to new home? That's all I can think of.

Your input valued.

HB
Old 27-12-2011, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:22:46 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson
wrote:

I just harvested some carrots which I had earlier transplanted. They
seemed to do very well. But what's weird is that these carrots had
"hair" all down the length of them.

Is that normal for a transplant? I don't do it that often. Never
noticed this before. IAre these carrot putting out tiny rootlets as
they adjust to new home? That's all I can think of.

Your input valued.

Carrots don't transplant well so are not transplanted, they're
thinned, the pulled ones thrown away.
Old 27-12-2011, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I just harvested some carrots which I had earlier transplanted. They
seemed to do very well. But what's weird is that these carrots had
"hair" all down the length of them.

Is that normal for a transplant? I don't do it that often. Never
noticed this before. IAre these carrot putting out tiny rootlets as
they adjust to new home? That's all I can think of.

Your input valued.

HB

Hairy carrrots are usually a sign of too much fertilizer..don't know
that transplanting would have anything to do with it.
Old 27-12-2011, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I just harvested some carrots which I had earlier transplanted. They
seemed to do very well. But what's weird is that these carrots had
"hair" all down the length of them.

Is that normal for a transplant? I don't do it that often. Never
noticed this before. IAre these carrot putting out tiny rootlets as
they adjust to new home? That's all I can think of.

Your input valued.

HB

Hairy carrrots are usually a sign of too much fertilizer..don't know
that transplanting would have anything to do with it.

Phosphorus?
--
- Billy

E pluribus unum
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/04/18/112346/obama-ran-against-bush-but-now.html

$1.5 billion in US foreign aid at work.
http://storyful.com/stories/1000016318

none of the government programs targeted for elimination or severe cutbacks "appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/statements/2011/mar/28/dennis-kucinich/rep-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZkDikRLQrw

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-great-american-bubble-machine-20100405

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTW0y6kazWM&feature=related
Old 27-12-2011, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I just harvested some carrots which I had earlier transplanted. *They
seemed to do very well. *But what's weird is that these carrots had
"hair" all down the length of them.

Is that normal for a transplant? *I don't do it that often. *Never
noticed this before. *IAre these carrot putting out tiny rootlets as
they adjust to new home? *That's all I can think of.

Your input valued.

HB

Hairy carrrots are usually a sign of too much fertilizer..don't know
that transplanting would have anything to do with it.

Yabbut I didn't overfertilize! Didn't do anything to new area but mix
in a small amount of worm castings.

HB

Old 27-12-2011, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I just harvested some carrots which I had earlier transplanted. *They
seemed to do very well. *But what's weird is that these carrots had
"hair" all down the length of them.

Is that normal for a transplant? *I don't do it that often. *Never
noticed this before. *IAre these carrot putting out tiny rootlets as
they adjust to new home? *That's all I can think of.

Your input valued.

Carrots don't transplant well so are not transplanted, they're
thinned, the pulled ones thrown away.

Never knew that; hadn't had occasion to transplant a quantity before.
In this case, I couldn't follow above advice; I had to clear the area
for something else, and hated to waste perfectly good little carrots.
Still looking for explanation of "hair".

HB
Old 27-12-2011, 08:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

I just harvested some carrots which I had earlier transplanted. They
seemed to do very well. But what's weird is that these carrots had
"hair" all down the length of them.

Is that normal for a transplant? I don't do it that often. Never
noticed this before. IAre these carrot putting out tiny rootlets as
they adjust to new home? That's all I can think of.

Your input valued.

a root hair is increased root surface area
for absorbing nutrients/moisture.

as the plants were originally grown they
would have had their soil environment all
situated right from the start. in other
words they'd have their root surface area
in close contact with the surrounding
soil moisture and organisms.

when transplanting you remove their
support network so they would have to
replace it.

how do they taste? those hairs would
come off with scrubbing or peeling. so
no big deal there, but i'm wondering if
they'd be less tender or sweet.

was the soil quality different between
the starting spot and the finishing spot?
was the finishing spot sandier and dryer?

songbird
Old 27-12-2011, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 03:45:17 -0500, songbird
wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

I just harvested some carrots which I had earlier transplanted. They
seemed to do very well. But what's weird is that these carrots had
"hair" all down the length of them.

Is that normal for a transplant? I don't do it that often. Never
noticed this before. IAre these carrot putting out tiny rootlets as
they adjust to new home? That's all I can think of.

Your input valued.

a root hair is increased root surface area
for absorbing nutrients/moisture.

as the plants were originally grown they
would have had their soil environment all
situated right from the start. in other
words they'd have their root surface area
in close contact with the surrounding
soil moisture and organisms.

when transplanting you remove their
support network so they would have to
replace it.

Precisely... that's why carrots are not transplanted... and its
support network is never adequately replaced... unlike a tomato plant
a carrot root is the part you eat, it is is not the fruit. A
transplanted carrot can still flower but it will never develop an
edible root... you can prove this by cutting off a carrot top and
placing it in a pot of soil and keep it well watered.

how do they taste? those hairs would
come off with scrubbing or peeling. so
no big deal there, but i'm wondering if
they'd be less tender or sweet.

They'd be limp and have a much shorter shelf life... like old men. LOL

But seriously, root vegetables are not transplanted, they're thinned;
carrots, radishes, beets, turnips etc. Didn't yoose notice how these
veggies are not sold in flats with the other veggies? These are
termed "direct sown", not all direct sown are root crops, corn doesn't
transplant either, neither leaf lettuce, and several others. Every
seed pack that says to thin does NOT say to replant the thinnings. For
those who are "seed cheap" and cannot bring themselves to toss out the
thinnings simply sow more accurately and further apart, however carrot
seeds are extremely tiny so not easy to do. Commercial farmers use
very precise/pricy seeders so thinning is minimized, more to save
labor than seed. Haven't any of you noticed that when carrots are too
long in the fridge they have put out a mass of hairy rootlets and have
begun to mold and rot... harvested carrots placed in a dark dank place
behave as though transplanted, they attempt to continue growing but
obviously they fail. I buy a lot of carrots, in fifty pound bags when
I can find them at a good price, because I feed them to deer. After
about a month in the fridge the last dregs are all hairy and beginning
to rot, but the deer eat them anyway, I just feed those more heavily
to get rid of them. Usually the large bags of carrots are from
Canada, they are also at least twice as large as the typical market
carrot... those are grown especially for commercial operations, saves
labor preping for soups/stews. They are actually a sweeter, tastier,
more tender carrot... if you find those try them... often I find them
in 5# bags too. And before you ask I have a second fridge in my
basement... any serious vegetable gardner needs a second refrigerator
freezer, much handier than a stand alone freezer. And a basement
fridge needn't be pretty/pricy. I bought mine from a local family
owned 2nd generation appliance dealer who refurbishes certain of the
old ones he picks up when someone buys new. He explained to me that
some appliances are made better than others so it pays to repair those
models but many people would rather buy new than pay a couple hundred
for the repair. He said it costs much less to make the repair in his
shop, but folks can't survive without a fridge and have only one. For
an 18 cu ft no frills I paid $100 delivered, more than ten years ago,
still going strong.

Old 27-12-2011, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 27, 12:45*am, songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
I just harvested some carrots which I had earlier transplanted. *They
seemed to do very well. *But what's weird is that these carrots had
"hair" all down the length of them.

Is that normal for a transplant? *I don't do it that often. *Never
noticed this before. *IAre these carrot putting out tiny rootlets as
they adjust to new home? *That's all I can think of.

Your input valued.

* a root hair is increased root surface area
for absorbing nutrients/moisture.

* as the plants were originally grown they
would have had their soil environment all
situated right from the start. *in other
words they'd have their root surface area
in close contact with the surrounding
soil moisture and organisms.

* when transplanting you remove their
support network so they would have to
replace it.

***Yeah, I figured as much. But why not at the bottom, instead of all
along the length. No biggie; inquiring minds...

* how do they taste? *those hairs would
come off with scrubbing or peeling. *so
no big deal there, but i'm wondering if
they'd be less tender or sweet.

***Carrots tasted fine. Hairs came off easily.

* was the soil quality different between
the starting spot and the finishing spot?
was the finishing spot sandier and dryer?

***Soil basically the same.

HB

Old 27-12-2011, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

***I learned my lesson. No more transplanting root veggies. Note,
however, that I wasn't being manically parsimonious in replanting
rather than thinning. As explained above, I had to clear out the
area, and thought I could move the little buggers.

Tx for all the good advice.

HB

Old 28-12-2011, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

You're welcome.

I used to grow carrots when my daughter was small, kids love to pluck
and eat. But for a long time now I haven't grown carrots, I don't
grow things that I can buy all year at the stupidmarket far cheaper,
better quality, and with less effort than I can grow. A couple of
years ago I tried to grow celery, what a disaster. It took a long
time to grow and it looked fine, but it was so bitter and woody it was
inedible. I'll never again complain about the price of celery at the
market.
Old 28-12-2011, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 27, 5:07*pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

***I've had a few disasters too. Gave up on broccoli after some
dismal results. Same with Brussels sprouts. And another veg whose
name I cannot recall.
Has a gluey, sticky nature.

Do they have farmers markets where you live? Your carrots would be a
lot fresher and possibly organic purchased there.

HB
Old 28-12-2011, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Farmer's markets sell the same produce sold at stupidmarkets only
lesser quality... The farmer's market dealers rent a booth but sell
someone elses produce, typically what they buy for cheap at the local
produce wholesale warehouse because it wasn't up to snuff to ship.
What you want is to shop at "farm stands", typically a shed at
roadside directly in front of a grower's property, farm stands sell
produce that is grown on that farm... many are tended to by the
farmer's children or an elderly relative because real farmers haven't
the time to both tend to a stand and farm. And many farm stands are
on the honor system. I live in a very rural area with lots of farmers
around, several do have a farm stand of some sort and many of my
neghbors who only have a family vegetable garden still set a table
roadside in front of their house and sell their extras by the honor
system. I thought to do that but swaping crops with my neighbors who
also garden works far better for me... a few of us just leave a bag of
produce at each other's back door, no one keeps score. I would never
shop at a Farmer's Market, they're for those who have more dollars
than functioning brain cells. And as to organic (whatever that is), I
don't believe that fairy tale... so long as there's weather and
gravity there can't be organic farm land. Hydroponic especially is
chemical gardening. I use no chemicals in my garden, but still when
it rains and snow melts there is run off... and most all the best farm
land is bottom land. Yoose want to pay double for your food, be my
guest, helps keep my grocery bill lower. You go to the market and
there's a bin of peppers, twenty feet away is a bin of organic
peppers, those peppers look identical because they are identical, in
back they all come out of the same crate, and they often choose the
nicer looking ones to put in the organic bin, which is ridiculous,
because if there are no worm holes and insect bites it cannot be
organic... just about every piece of produce I harvest has/had some
creepy crawly living in it... I rely on the birds, they do a very good
job of keeping the insect poulation down and fertilizing... and I find
plenty of bird pecks as well. Anyone can BUY an organic farm
certification. ALL grubbermint inspectors/agencies can be bought.
Organic farming is purely theoretical, it's not reality... actually
it's a green giant scam.
Old 30-12-2011, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Okra???

YESSSS!!!!

HB

--

PhoenixWench

Toleration is not the opposite of intolerance but the counterfeit of it.
Both are despotisms: the one assumes to itself the right of withholding
liberty of conscience, the other of granting it.
* * * *-- Thomas Paine, The Rights of Man

My fellow citizens, we live in a great nation. It's occasional
resemblance to a
lunatic asylum is purely coincidental and doubtlessly not the intention
of the author of us all.
* * * - Molly Ivins, 1944 - 2007

Molly, we miss you so!! Hope you are still stirring things up,
wherever you are!

If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way.
* * * * Napoleon Hill, 1883 - 1970

Old 30-12-2011, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Whoa, there, buddy! It depends on where you are. In my "green"
community, farmers' market exhibitors are STRICTLY supervised. So I
think your blanket statement about farmers' markets needs some
qualification.

What you say about supermarkets could have some validity, which is
why many of us try not to purchase produce from them. Especially not
imported from countries that use the pesticides that the US exports to
them.

As to farm stands, they must be wonderful, but I haven't noticed too
many lately in the middle of even a small city.

HB

[IMG] code is On

Transplanting Carrots Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 19 18-06-2015 05:34 PM
Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (1/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 26-07-2011 06:43 PM
Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (0/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 20-07-2011 12:16 AM
Carrots shazzbat United Kingdom 1 11-06-2003 12:20 AM
Black Carrots Mook23 Gardening 7 03-04-2003 01:32 AM