Old 27-12-2011, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Transplanting carrots

On Dec 27, 12:45*am, songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
I just harvested some carrots which I had earlier transplanted. *They
seemed to do very well. *But what's weird is that these carrots had
"hair" all down the length of them.

Is that normal for a transplant? *I don't do it that often. *Never
noticed this before. *IAre these carrot putting out tiny rootlets as
they adjust to new home? *That's all I can think of.

Your input valued.

* a root hair is increased root surface area
for absorbing nutrients/moisture.

* as the plants were originally grown they
would have had their soil environment all
situated right from the start. *in other
words they'd have their root surface area
in close contact with the surrounding
soil moisture and organisms.

* when transplanting you remove their
support network so they would have to
replace it.

***Yeah, I figured as much. But why not at the bottom, instead of all
along the length. No biggie; inquiring minds...

* how do they taste? *those hairs would
come off with scrubbing or peeling. *so
no big deal there, but i'm wondering if
they'd be less tender or sweet.

***Carrots tasted fine. Hairs came off easily.

* was the soil quality different between
the starting spot and the finishing spot?
was the finishing spot sandier and dryer?

***Soil basically the same.

HB