Old 29-12-2011, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Request for advice on Gardening above 1000 feet

On Dec 28, 7:12*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 16:38:34 GMT, Baz wrote:
We find that stuff just takes a season or three to get

established,
combination of the lower temps and short season. Things may even
appear to have died but come back after missing a season.

Having read all of this thread, I wonder why you live there.

Because it's a wonderful place to live... With a population of only
just over 2,000 we know, at least by sight most people, crime is
almost non-existant, the place pulls together as a community when the
going gets tough.

It would definatly make me want a "normal life" in normal conditions.

But "normal life" is just so boring, living in a rabbit hutch in a
street after street of rabbit hutches. Yes, it can be a bit bleak and
we might not be able to get down to town let alone off the moor for a
day or two each winter but so what? We have enough food stocks to
last at least a week and decent backups for cooking lighting and
heating should the power fail. That was off for 36hrs just before
Christmas, not convient but no great hassle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Ah yes, done all that. But don't leave it until you are too old to
come from there. We had a neighbour done just that. Ended up with the
house falling down round him and the land all gone to weeds, fences
all down etc.
He was forcedout eventually through ill health and lost a lot of
money, the place was so dilapidated.
You need to be reasonably fit to live in these places.
We were sad to leave but being logical, it had to be done. It was a
wise move I think. We went from 50 acres to 1.5. (And 800ft lower)

We used to get snowed in for weeks on occasion. No gas, no drains, no
mains water. A neighbour had no electricity either. In Winter
sometimes we lost electricity for weeks.