Old 28-12-2011, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Request for advice on Gardening above 1000 feet

On 12/28/2011 12:34 PM, Sacha wrote:
David, was it North Wales that wonderful Eucalyptus nursery operated?
Used to be Celyn Nursery and then just became the Eucalyptus Nursery,
iirc. The owner was killed in an accident about 5 years ago.

Not David but I think it was. I have 4 trees from there. It was very
sad what happened.

FWIW we are at somewhat than 1000 ft, south facing with quite a bit of
wind. Not as rugged here in Normandy as N. Wales (much warmer I think).
We manage to have a small orchard and lots of garden including maples
which are not the easiest in the wind...

The wind does really fry thing out.
Old 29-12-2011, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 28, 4:38*pm, Baz wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote hill.co.uk:

We find that stuff just takes a season or three to get established,
combination of the lower temps and short season. Things may even
appear to have died but come back after missing a season.

Having read all of this thread, I wonder why you live there.

Not being funny or trying to insult you, what is there for you where you live, a blowing gale that uproots a cabbage
or anything above ground.

It would definatly make me want a "normal life" in normal conditions.

Respect to you
Baz

Houses in these positions tend to be cheap and there is often an
access problem.
If you can do it a poly tunnel is a big help.
We had fifty acres of ground, some of the lower stuff was
woodland,very nice in summer.
Old 29-12-2011, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 28, 7:12*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 16:38:34 GMT, Baz wrote:
We find that stuff just takes a season or three to get

established,
combination of the lower temps and short season. Things may even
appear to have died but come back after missing a season.

Having read all of this thread, I wonder why you live there.

Because it's a wonderful place to live... With a population of only
just over 2,000 we know, at least by sight most people, crime is
almost non-existant, the place pulls together as a community when the
going gets tough.

It would definatly make me want a "normal life" in normal conditions.

But "normal life" is just so boring, living in a rabbit hutch in a
street after street of rabbit hutches. Yes, it can be a bit bleak and
we might not be able to get down to town let alone off the moor for a
day or two each winter but so what? We have enough food stocks to
last at least a week and decent backups for cooking lighting and
heating should the power fail. That was off for 36hrs just before
Christmas, not convient but no great hassle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Ah yes, done all that. But don't leave it until you are too old to
come from there. We had a neighbour done just that. Ended up with the
house falling down round him and the land all gone to weeds, fences
all down etc.
He was forcedout eventually through ill health and lost a lot of
money, the place was so dilapidated.
You need to be reasonably fit to live in these places.
We were sad to leave but being logical, it had to be done. It was a
wise move I think. We went from 50 acres to 1.5. (And 800ft lower)

We used to get snowed in for weeks on occasion. No gas, no drains, no
mains water. A neighbour had no electricity either. In Winter
sometimes we lost electricity for weeks.