Old 30-12-2011, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Freddie2[_2_] Freddie2[_2_] is offline

Default Tomato by Xmas day

"Billy" wrote in message
"Freddie2" wrote:

Well to those who might remember me, I'm Fran, who used to post as Farm1
and
I've returned after ISP probs.

I've missed the ngs but my garden has benefitted from less time reading.
managed to pick my first tomato of the season on Christmas Day and for my
climate (considered to be a cold one for Aus.) that is truly amazing.
Normally, I wouldn't expect to pick a ripe tomato till about mid January.

So all we antipodal types need to do is hang our tomato plants upside
down, and we'll have tomatoes by June? I'm usually lucky to have them by
August during a hot summer.

Glad to see you back, uh, Fredde2. ;O)

:-)) I don't think hanging them upside down will work, but do try it and
let me know how it works ;-P

BTW, I thought that 'antipodal' (or variations thereof) only applied to us
southern hemisphereans? Must do an OED hunt.

Anyway.... I was stunned to get that tomato as it's way too early for this
locale. We have had a cold Spring and it's been very wet so it's even mroe
surprising to me. I really can't account for it being ripe at this time of
year but we picked 2 Tigerellas today. And the zucchini are starting to
ripen so it must be time to start locking the doors on my vehicle when I go
into the village or it'll be full of zucchinis when I come back to it.......

And lets forget that Freddie name - I asked my husband to set up the new
news provider and he did that to me - I wonder where the rat poison is?
Must figure out how to change it.