Old 30-12-2011, 05:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato by Xmas day

Well to those who might remember me, I'm Fran, who used to post as Farm1 and
I've returned after ISP probs.

I've missed the ngs but my garden has benefitted from less time reading. I
managed to pick my first tomato of the season on Christmas Day and for my
climate (considered to be a cold one for Aus.) that is truly amazing.
Normally, I wouldn't expect to pick a ripe tomato till about mid January.

Old 30-12-2011, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
"Freddie2" wrote:

Well to those who might remember me, I'm Fran, who used to post as Farm1
and
I've returned after ISP probs.

I've missed the ngs but my garden has benefitted from less time reading.
managed to pick my first tomato of the season on Christmas Day and for my
climate (considered to be a cold one for Aus.) that is truly amazing.
Normally, I wouldn't expect to pick a ripe tomato till about mid January.

So all we antipodal types need to do is hang our tomato plants upside
down, and we'll have tomatoes by June? I'm usually lucky to have them by
August during a hot summer.

Glad to see you back, uh, Fredde2. ;O)

:-)) I don't think hanging them upside down will work, but do try it and
let me know how it works ;-P

BTW, I thought that 'antipodal' (or variations thereof) only applied to us
southern hemisphereans? Must do an OED hunt.

Anyway.... I was stunned to get that tomato as it's way too early for this
locale. We have had a cold Spring and it's been very wet so it's even mroe
surprising to me. I really can't account for it being ripe at this time of
year but we picked 2 Tigerellas today. And the zucchini are starting to
ripen so it must be time to start locking the doors on my vehicle when I go
into the village or it'll be full of zucchinis when I come back to it.......

And lets forget that Freddie name - I asked my husband to set up the new
news provider and he did that to me - I wonder where the rat poison is?
Must figure out how to change it.

Old 30-12-2011, 09:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Freddie2 wrote:

ok, welcome back!

nice to have a good tomato show up
early. we won't see them here until
late July or early August.

songbird
Old 30-12-2011, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Freddie2 wrote:

And lets forget that Freddie name - I asked my husband to set up the
new news provider and he did that to me - I wonder where the rat
poison is? Must figure out how to change it.

You use Outlook Express right? Tools, Accounts (select account) Properties,
(change name and make sure email address is not valid unless you want a
mountain of spam).

David

Old 31-12-2011, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote in message
Freddie2 wrote:

ok, welcome back!

Thank you for your kind words.

nice to have a good tomato show up
early. we won't see them here until
late July or early August.

Well it wasn't what I'd call a good tomato. It was smallish and just a
ho-hum tom, but it was ripe so I'm pleased in the circumstances.

Old 31-12-2011, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Freddie2 wrote:

And lets forget that Freddie name - I asked my husband to set up the
new news provider and he did that to me - I wonder where the rat
poison is? Must figure out how to change it.

You use Outlook Express right? Tools, Accounts (select account)
Properties, (change name and make sure email address is not valid unless
you want a mountain of spam).

Thanks David, I will get around to that soonish. BTW, I had a great garlic
harvest. You asked about growing garlic here sometime in the recent past
and I followed my own advice that I gave when you asked. I planted near the
shortest day and harvested near the longest day - the harvest was excellent.

Old 31-12-2011, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 30, 12:46*am, "Freddie2" wrote:
Well to those who might remember me, I'm Fran, who used to post as Farm1 and
I've returned after ISP probs.

I've missed the ngs but my garden has benefitted from less time reading. *I
managed to pick my first tomato of the season on Christmas Day and for my
climate (considered to be a cold one for Aus.) that is truly amazing.
Normally, I wouldn't expect to pick a ripe tomato till about mid January.

I just picked the last of the tomatoes from the greenhouse this
morning here in North Carolina. Some of them are still green but we
are expecting a cold snap and I am not heating this winter.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Freddie2 wrote:
songbird wrote:

Thank you for your kind words.

nice to have a good tomato show up
early. we won't see them here until
late July or early August.

Well it wasn't what I'd call a good tomato. It was smallish and just a
ho-hum tom, but it was ripe so I'm pleased in the circumstances.

i hope the flavor improves as the
season progresses.

do you put in enough for canning or
plant for fresh eating only?