Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil Gurr Phil Gurr is offline

Default Raspberries - ouch!!

On 2012-01-02 09:13:27 +0000, gary lacey
said:

Not sure if they are any good but Poundland have their garden plants
back in and have raspberry canes . The raspberries are 'Rubus Idaeus
Malling Promise' bought a couple to give them a try.

If you see any, I highly recommend the variety Tulameen. We sell them but
more importantly, we grow them for ourselves because the flavour is
superb. I first had them when I bought some from a supermarket, so we
decided to find a source for the canes. It's a mid to late variety which
originated in Canada, I believe.

Tulameen is a small town about 200 miles east of Vancouver. Turn north off
the Trans-Canada Highway at Hope and on beyond Similkameen you will find
Tulameen at the end of Otter Lake. Worked there for a spell in the early
1960's, prospecting for gold and platinum, beautifull country. Many holiday
homes there owned by some of the bigger soft fruit producers from
Vancouver - probably the source of the name. A small indigenous population
with some interesting characters such as a retired German U-boat captain!

Phil