Old 30-12-2011, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberries - ouch!!

This morning a T&M seed catalogue arrived and I was a bit shocked by the
price of canes. They're asking £22.99p + £4.49p p+p, for 12 bare rooted!!
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3x55csx
I know I paid £6 (in Feb '09) for 10 canes rooted in soil, from a local
DIY/Garden centre. Have prices shot up by this much in 2 years? Apparently
not, a quick Google showed another online site charging £9.99p for 10 canes
and £3.99p p+p.
I'll need to buy lots of veg seeds online, as the above mentioned gdn centre
has a limited range. I know 'price isn't everything' but I'll be shopping
around carefully next month.

Old 30-12-2011, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in
:

This morning a T&M seed catalogue arrived and I was a bit shocked by
the price of canes. They're asking £22.99p + £4.49p p+p, for 12 bare
rooted!! http://preview.tinyurl.com/3x55csx
I know I paid £6 (in Feb '09) for 10 canes rooted in soil, from a
local DIY/Garden centre. Have prices shot up by this much in 2 years?
Apparently not, a quick Google showed another online site charging
£9.99p for 10 canes and £3.99p p+p.
I'll need to buy lots of veg seeds online, as the above mentioned gdn
centre has a limited range. I know 'price isn't everything' but I'll
be shopping around carefully next month.

I have had great service from Parkers:-

http://tinyurl.com/d9m384t

They are very competative on price = cheap, and punctual.

They also sell seeds but I like to buy mine localy.

Hope this helps, and wish you the best for 2012.
Baz
Old 30-12-2011, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message ...

"Bertie Doe" wrote in
:
snip
Apparently not, a quick Google showed another online site charging
£9.99p for 10 canes and £3.99p p+p.
I'll need to buy lots of veg seeds online, as the above mentioned gdn
centre has a limited range. I know 'price isn't everything' but I'll
be shopping around carefully next month.

/I have had great service from Parkers:-
/
/http://tinyurl.com/d9m384t
/
/They are very competative on price = cheap, and punctual.
/
/They also sell seeds but I like to buy mine locally.
/
/Hope this helps, and wish you the best for 2012.
/Baz

Thanks Baz, my raspberries are now nicely established, but worth noting if I
need to top-up.

OT but my New Year Res, is to buy numerous varieties of cabbage and cauli.
For variety, this will mean buying online. I didn't realise chopped cabbage
hearts were so tasty - parboiled, then stir fried with garlic and seasoning.
One large heart has lasted (2 people) about 4 days. My ambition is to try
for all-year-round cropping. At the moment I've got plenty of Savoy, but I
need a bit more mid-winter choice.

Old 30-12-2011, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote

This morning a T&M seed catalogue arrived and I was a bit shocked by the
price of canes. They're asking £22.99p + £4.49p p+p, for 12 bare rooted!!
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3x55csx
I know I paid £6 (in Feb '09) for 10 canes rooted in soil, from a local
DIY/Garden centre. Have prices shot up by this much in 2 years? Apparently
not, a quick Google showed another online site charging £9.99p for 10 canes
and £3.99p p+p.
I'll need to buy lots of veg seeds online, as the above mentioned gdn
centre has a limited range. I know 'price isn't everything' but I'll be
shopping around carefully next month.

Try Blackmoore Fruit Nursery, used them for a cherry tree and have seen
their soft fruit at a local independent GC.

http://www.blackmoor.co.uk

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-12-2011, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

/Try Blackmoore Fruit Nursery, used them for a cherry tree and have seen
/their soft fruit at a local independent GC.
/
/http://www.blackmoor.co.uk
/

In March, I purchased a mini fruit collection, apple, pear, plum, morello
and stella cherry, on dwarf stock. I may have lost the stella, so I might
use Blackmoor for a replacement, if there's no sign of life this Spring.
Although I believe October is the best time to plant.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Registered User

Location: isle of wight

Not sure if they are any good but Poundland have their garden plants back in and have raspberry canes . The raspberries are 'Rubus Idaeus Malling Promise' bought a couple to give them a try.
__________________
Garden tool buying advice, maintenance & general tips http://www.gardentoolslist.com
Old 02-01-2012, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 09:13:27 +0000, gary lacey
wrote:

Not sure if they are any good but Poundland have their garden plants
back in and have raspberry canes . The raspberries are 'Rubus Idaeus
Malling Promise' bought a couple to give them a try.

I've had good crops from Malling Promise.

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Not sure if they are any good but Poundland have their garden plants
back in and have raspberry canes . The raspberries are 'Rubus Idaeus
Malling Promise' bought a couple to give them a try.

Fab!
Thanks
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-02 09:13:27 +0000, gary lacey
said:

Not sure if they are any good but Poundland have their garden plants
back in and have raspberry canes . The raspberries are 'Rubus Idaeus
Malling Promise' bought a couple to give them a try.

If you see any, I highly recommend the variety Tulameen. We sell them but
more importantly, we grow them for ourselves because the flavour is
superb. I first had them when I bought some from a supermarket, so we
decided to find a source for the canes. It's a mid to late variety which
originated in Canada, I believe.

Tulameen is a small town about 200 miles east of Vancouver. Turn north off
the Trans-Canada Highway at Hope and on beyond Similkameen you will find
Tulameen at the end of Otter Lake. Worked there for a spell in the early
1960's, prospecting for gold and platinum, beautifull country. Many holiday
homes there owned by some of the bigger soft fruit producers from
Vancouver - probably the source of the name. A small indigenous population
with some interesting characters such as a retired German U-boat captain!

Phil

Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
If you see any, I highly recommend the variety Tulameen. We sell them
but more importantly, we grow them for ourselves because the flavour is
superb. I first had them when I bought some from a supermarket, so we
decided to find a source for the canes. It's a mid to late variety
which originated in Canada, I believe. The fruits are large and very sweet.

Bought ten last year, they sat and sulked even though i gave them really
good condition/ Still sulking by the look of it..........
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

FloralDays - ouch! David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 0 21-04-2006 01:31 PM
Ouch that hurt, Bee stings Ben Gardening 4 15-10-2005 11:47 PM
Help I Lost ("OUCH!" ~Fred Hall) Birthday suit Larry Ponds 0 01-04-2005 11:00 PM
Sandburs... Ouch ! Bobbo Texas 7 18-02-2004 04:05 AM
Ouch !!!! Lotus has thorns claude rogers Ponds 15 09-08-2003 02:37 PM