Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Davej Davej is offline

Default Figs

On Jan 4, 11:32*am, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 Davej wrote:

As an update -- elsewhere on the web I have read that fig plants
prefer to be kept dry during the Winter, so I am going to construct a
plastic coldframe and try to keep them dry.

Here in northern NJ, *I have my figs growing in tubs and overwinter
them in an unheated garage. They thrive, but it took me a while to
find the right method.

All my figs are in tubs. I had lost a few of them over the years, even
with wrapping the trunks or insulating with burlap and layers of
leaves or even wrapping the tubs.

Boron

Do they look like trees or shrubs? Do you need to cut them back to fit
them into the garage? Thanks.