Old 07-01-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] JonH@Underthewagon.net is offline

Default Coriander

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 16:27:16 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Baz" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote in

Sue cooking a curry tonight has prompted me to mention something that
has happened on our allotment this year. Early in 2011 we planted some
coriander seeds (for leaf!) and they grew as usual and went to seed
quite quickly as usual. Because we didn't need the ground we left them
and on pulling them up in the autumn the seeds scattered across the
plot. We now have a beautiful green coriander sward on that part of
the plot, it's growing very slowly and has got to about 6inches tall
so far, looking like a green manure crop. It does not seem to have
been affected by the couple of frosts we have had. Maybe it's best
planted in the autumn, it will not go to seed until the summer comes
so we will get months of use.

My coriander only lasts for one season! Then I have to buy more seeds.

I am sure that I must be doing something wrong.

If you always let some go to seed it should be self perpetuating even if you
collect the seed for planting elsewhere and don't just let it self seed as
we did.

I have one plant in the open and three in a pot in the unheated
greenhouse still cropping with sufficient leaves to add to my prawn
vindaloo this evening.

Cheers!
JonH