Old 06-01-2012, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coriander

Sue cooking a curry tonight has prompted me to mention something that has
happened on our allotment this year. Early in 2011 we planted some coriander
seeds (for leaf!) and they grew as usual and went to seed quite quickly as
usual. Because we didn't need the ground we left them and on pulling them up
in the autumn the seeds scattered across the plot. We now have a beautiful
green coriander sward on that part of the plot, it's growing very slowly and
has got to about 6inches tall so far, looking like a green manure crop. It
does not seem to have been affected by the couple of frosts we have had.
Maybe it's best planted in the autumn, it will not go to seed until the
summer comes so we will get months of use.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-01-2012, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 16:04:17 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Sue cooking a curry tonight has prompted me to mention something that has
happened on our allotment this year. Early in 2011 we planted some coriander
seeds (for leaf!) and they grew as usual and went to seed quite quickly as
usual. Because we didn't need the ground we left them and on pulling them up
in the autumn the seeds scattered across the plot. We now have a beautiful
green coriander sward on that part of the plot, it's growing very slowly and
has got to about 6inches tall so far, looking like a green manure crop. It
does not seem to have been affected by the couple of frosts we have had.
Maybe it's best planted in the autumn, it will not go to seed until the
summer comes so we will get months of use.

I have had variable performance (also in West London). Last year I
sowed 'Calypso' in pots in the greenhouse and also in open ground.
Also, Fothergills 'Cillanto for leaf'. 'Calypso' was initially
disappointing.

I lost track of which was where during the summer.

Whatever. Whichever grew, I harvested and then pruned (read hacked
down indoor and outdoors) stems that were heading for flowering and I
got more crops of leaves. My freezer is now well stocked.

Blowed if I know which are which, but despite my negligence during the
autumn, I have viable plants in the unheated greenhouse and outside in
open ground from which I can harvest leaves.

(I hope that I can rinse off the fox urine from those surviving
outside!)

Regards
JonH
Old 07-01-2012, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Sue cooking a curry tonight has prompted me to mention something that
has happened on our allotment this year. Early in 2011 we planted some
coriander seeds (for leaf!) and they grew as usual and went to seed
quite quickly as usual. Because we didn't need the ground we left them
and on pulling them up in the autumn the seeds scattered across the
plot. We now have a beautiful green coriander sward on that part of
the plot, it's growing very slowly and has got to about 6inches tall
so far, looking like a green manure crop. It does not seem to have
been affected by the couple of frosts we have had. Maybe it's best
planted in the autumn, it will not go to seed until the summer comes
so we will get months of use.

My coriander only lasts for one season! Then I have to buy more seeds.

I am sure that I must be doing something wrong.

Baz
Old 07-01-2012, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote in

Sue cooking a curry tonight has prompted me to mention something that
has happened on our allotment this year. Early in 2011 we planted some
coriander seeds (for leaf!) and they grew as usual and went to seed
quite quickly as usual. Because we didn't need the ground we left them
and on pulling them up in the autumn the seeds scattered across the
plot. We now have a beautiful green coriander sward on that part of
the plot, it's growing very slowly and has got to about 6inches tall
so far, looking like a green manure crop. It does not seem to have
been affected by the couple of frosts we have had. Maybe it's best
planted in the autumn, it will not go to seed until the summer comes
so we will get months of use.

My coriander only lasts for one season! Then I have to buy more seeds.

I am sure that I must be doing something wrong.

If you always let some go to seed it should be self perpetuating even if you
collect the seed for planting elsewhere and don't just let it self seed as
we did.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 16:27:16 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Baz" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote in

[...]

I have one plant in the open and three in a pot in the unheated
greenhouse still cropping with sufficient leaves to add to my prawn
vindaloo this evening.

Cheers!
JonH

Old 09-01-2012, 03:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Sue cooking a curry tonight has prompted me to mention something that has
happened on our allotment this year. Early in 2011 we planted some
coriander seeds (for leaf!) and they grew as usual and went to seed quite
quickly as usual. Because we didn't need the ground we left them and on
pulling them up in the autumn the seeds scattered across the plot. We now
have a beautiful green coriander sward on that part of the plot, it's
growing very slowly and has got to about 6inches tall so far, looking like
a green manure crop. It does not seem to have been affected by the couple
of frosts we have had.
Maybe it's best planted in the autumn, it will not go to seed until the
summer comes so we will get months of use.

Coriander hates the heat and bolts as soon as the temps climb. I've always
sown it in cooler times of the year if I've ever needed to sow it. These
days I just let it go to seed after planting it in somewhere out of the way
and then it just self perpetuates.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm1[_2_] View Post
These days I just let it go to seed after planting it in somewhere out of the way and then it just self perpetuates.
You must have naturally moist soil. To me it has always shown an incredible propensity to die from the briefest dry patch in the weather.

Growing coriander... Tracy United Kingdom 18 05-06-2004 11:36 PM
Growing coriander Abso United Kingdom 15 22-10-2003 10:48 PM
Coriander AndWhyNot United Kingdom 8 26-06-2003 07:57 PM
Tall and skinny coriander Nobby United Kingdom 7 11-06-2003 10:56 PM
Prune coriander for more leaves? Frogleg Gardening 2 05-05-2003 09:08 AM