Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Palms - never give up!

"harry" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 11:32 am, Jeff Layman wrote:
With very few exceptions, it is generally considered that if the growing
point of a palm is damaged, the plant is doomed.

Maybe not.

About 23 years ago I bought a small Dypsis decaryi (Triangle palm). The
trunk was about 15 cm high, and it had a couple of leaves about 40 cm
long. Over the next 15 years or so it grew a leaf every year or two;
the arrival of a new leaf would be heralded by a small green spear
appearing in the crown next to the previous leaf. Around 7 years ago,
with the trunk 30 cm high, and around 5 leaves 3 metres long, I noticed
the next spear coming through. But after a month it hadn't seemed to
grow. I repotted the plant, but it made no difference - the spear did
not move. One by one the remaining leaves died and I cut them off.
About 18 months ago the plant was a sorry sight with only one long green
leaf left. The non-growing spear was where it had been for the last 7
years. I was tempted to throw it out.

In early December I noticed another spear appearing. I marked its
position, and a couple of weeks later it had grown a centimetre. A
couple of weeks later, another spear had appeared a few centimetres
below the new one. The original, dead(?) spear is still where it was 7
years ago. I am looking forward to having this attractive palm with
several leaves on view again.

So can palms recover? Maybe not enough time has been allowed to see if
they can regrow.

*Well I lost a few last year.

I thought I'd lost one last year.
However a new bit of green is showing through all the dead stuff.
Could take a while to grow out, though.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)