Old 09-01-2012, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Palms - never give up!

With very few exceptions, it is generally considered that if the growing
point of a palm is damaged, the plant is doomed.

Maybe not.

About 23 years ago I bought a small Dypsis decaryi (Triangle palm). The
trunk was about 15 cm high, and it had a couple of leaves about 40 cm
long. Over the next 15 years or so it grew a leaf every year or two;
the arrival of a new leaf would be heralded by a small green spear
appearing in the crown next to the previous leaf. Around 7 years ago,
with the trunk 30 cm high, and around 5 leaves 3 metres long, I noticed
the next spear coming through. But after a month it hadn't seemed to
grow. I repotted the plant, but it made no difference - the spear did
not move. One by one the remaining leaves died and I cut them off.
About 18 months ago the plant was a sorry sight with only one long green
leaf left. The non-growing spear was where it had been for the last 7
years. I was tempted to throw it out.

In early December I noticed another spear appearing. I marked its
position, and a couple of weeks later it had grown a centimetre. A
couple of weeks later, another spear had appeared a few centimetres
below the new one. The original, dead(?) spear is still where it was 7
years ago. I am looking forward to having this attractive palm with
several leaves on view again.

So can palms recover? Maybe not enough time has been allowed to see if
they can regrow.

--

Jeff
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 9, 11:32*am, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Well I lost a few last year.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

*Well I lost a few last year.

I thought I'd lost one last year.
However a new bit of green is showing through all the dead stuff.
Could take a while to grow out, though.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 11-01-2012, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:09:30 -0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

So can palms recover? Maybe not enough time has been allowed to

see if
they can regrow.

*Well I lost a few last year.

I thought I'd lost one last year. However a new bit of green is showing
through all the dead stuff. Could take a while to grow out, though.

I think that an awful lot are plants are written off as dead long
before they actually are. We have young trees if the "dead" twig
coming out of the ground or pot doesn't easyly pull out it stays, it
still has roots attached. It might take a couple of years before
there is any particular sign of life in the twig but quite a few
"dead" things have not been dead at all. Other plants do the same,
die right back, then a year or two later reappear.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Give us a square foot and we'll give you a year's worth of produce Ablang Gardening 1 20-04-2008 08:18 AM
Crug Never say Never Rupert United Kingdom 3 26-02-2006 01:10 PM
Help burn palms Sue Australia 1 14-02-2003 02:22 AM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 04:15 AM
Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms Clive Wilson United Kingdom 4 22-11-2002 06:11 PM