Old 12-01-2012, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Pine needles

"Kathy" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience of composting pine needles? I have access to
a good quantity of these, but have a vague memory of having been told they
are too acidic. If they are compostable, should they be added to the heap
or put in bin bags, like leaves?

TIA

--
Kathy

Here's a quote I found on a web-site :-)

quote
The pH (acidity or alkalinity) of soil can be changed depending on the mulch
selected. For example, most composts will be slightly alkaline (pH greater
than 7) and excellent for use in acidic soil regions, while continuous use
of oak leaves, pine needles, pine bark and sphagnum peat moss will increase
acidity. The breakdown products of leaves, including oak leaves, will be
alkaline, but continuous use of oak, pine and sphagnum peat moss products
will keep the soil surface acidic (pH less than 7).

unquote/

Hope this helps.

Bill