Old 11-01-2012, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pine needles

Does anyone have experience of composting pine needles? I have access to a
good quantity of these, but have a vague memory of having been told they are
too acidic. If they are compostable, should they be added to the heap or
put in bin bags, like leaves?

TIA

--
Kathy

Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 11, 5:17*pm, "Kathy" wrote:
Does anyone have experience of composting pine needles? *I have access to a
good quantity of these, but have a vague memory of having been told they are
too acidic. *If they are compostable, should they be added to the heap or
put in bin bags, like leaves?

TIA

--
Kathy

They can be composted no problem. They take a while longer because
they are waxy.
Bags need to be thick, they prick holes in thin bags.
You only have to look at a pine forest floor to see what you get.
I run complete branches through the shredder.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 11, 7:07*pm, harry wrote:
On Jan 11, 5:17*pm, "Kathy" wrote:

Does anyone have experience of composting pine needles? *I have access to a
good quantity of these, but have a vague memory of having been told they are
too acidic. *If they are compostable, should they be added to the heap or
put in bin bags, like leaves?

TIA

--
Kathy

They can be composted no problem. They take a while longer because
they are waxy.
Bags need to be thick, they prick holes in thin bags.
You only have to look at a pine forest floor to see what you get.
I run complete branches through the shredder.

Make a great compost for Indoor Azalias, and other ericasia loving
plants
Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Hill wrote:
They can be composted no problem. They take a while longer because
they are waxy.
Bags need to be thick, they prick holes in thin bags.
You only have to look at a pine forest floor to see what you get.
I run complete branches through the shredder.

Make a great compost for Indoor Azalias, and other ericasia loving
plants

I may have to try some as a mulch for my new blueberries. Never had any
success with them, thought I'd give it a last try
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Jan 11, 5:17*pm, "Kathy" wrote:
Does anyone have experience of composting pine needles? *I have access to a
good quantity of these, but have a vague memory of having been told they are
too acidic. *If they are compostable, should they be added to the heap or
put in bin bags, like leaves?

TIA

Earlier in the year they can be tasty, but not now.

NT

Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Kathy
writes
Does anyone have experience of composting pine needles? I have access
to a good quantity of these, but have a vague memory of having been
told they are too acidic. If they are compostable, should they be
added to the heap or put in bin bags, like leaves?

I usually strip the xmas tree after its dried a bit and put them in a
bucket which is allowed to get wet. After a couple of months I use it
as a mulch on my (planted) blueberries.

--
regards andyw
Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NT" wrote in message
On Jan 11, 5:17 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
Does anyone have experience of composting pine needles? I have access to a
good quantity of these, but have a vague memory of having been told they
are
too acidic. If they are compostable, should they be added to the heap or
put in bin bags, like leaves?

TIA

Earlier in the year they can be tasty, but not now.

NT

Supposed to good if you have toothache, at least when they're still green!

Bill

Old 12-01-2012, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience of composting pine needles? I have access to
a good quantity of these, but have a vague memory of having been told they
are too acidic. If they are compostable, should they be added to the heap
or put in bin bags, like leaves?

TIA

--
Kathy

Here's a quote I found on a web-site :-)

quote
The pH (acidity or alkalinity) of soil can be changed depending on the mulch
selected. For example, most composts will be slightly alkaline (pH greater
than 7) and excellent for use in acidic soil regions, while continuous use
of oak leaves, pine needles, pine bark and sphagnum peat moss will increase
acidity. The breakdown products of leaves, including oak leaves, will be
alkaline, but continuous use of oak, pine and sphagnum peat moss products
will keep the soil surface acidic (pH less than 7).

unquote/

Hope this helps.

Bill

Old 13-01-2012, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote in message
[...]

Hmm. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm not going to try eating them! I
think my best bet is to use them as an occasional layer in the heap.

--
Kathy