Old 14-01-2012, 10:01 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Tonkin View Post
Couldn't miss the opportunity to spend a sunny, but cold afternoon in
the garden. Ground too wet for digging so I decided to cut down the
autumn fruiting raspberry canes. What a surprise, there were some green
ones about 4ft high, with buds in them that must have shot very late in
the autumn and continued grow. Also a couple of shoots about 9inches,
which are obviously this years, and several shoots just appearing at the
base. Not sure what they'll make of the current cold weather, the ice on
the bird feeder water has not melted at all today.

I also noticed that the leaf buds at the top of the hydrangea shoots are
emerging.

Walking along the River Wye this morning (in the fog!) there were masses
of snowdrops out.

I wonder what else I'll find.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
'Ice,on the birdbath' Whilst its cold here due to the east wind, luckily, have not even woke up once to any sort of frost (yet) this winter.
White hydrangeas blooms still perfect, fuchsias still in full flower (and leaf) and everything bursting into bud !! Lets hope this cold snap slows everything down. It may also slow down all the botrytis in my tunnel on the Fatsias, mind you, compared ith last year, I'm not complaining HaHaHa !!
Lannerman.