Old 14-01-2012, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This Crazy Season

Couldn't miss the opportunity to spend a sunny, but cold afternoon in
the garden. Ground too wet for digging so I decided to cut down the
autumn fruiting raspberry canes. What a surprise, there were some green
ones about 4ft high, with buds in them that must have shot very late in
the autumn and continued grow. Also a couple of shoots about 9inches,
which are obviously this years, and several shoots just appearing at the
base. Not sure what they'll make of the current cold weather, the ice on
the bird feeder water has not melted at all today.

I also noticed that the leaf buds at the top of the hydrangea shoots are
emerging.

Walking along the River Wye this morning (in the fog!) there were masses
of snowdrops out.

I wonder what else I'll find.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 14-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Tonkin View Post
[...]

'Ice,on the birdbath' Whilst its cold here due to the east wind, luckily, have not even woke up once to any sort of frost (yet) this winter.
White hydrangeas blooms still perfect, fuchsias still in full flower (and leaf) and everything bursting into bud !! Lets hope this cold snap slows everything down. It may also slow down all the botrytis in my tunnel on the Fatsias, mind you, compared ith last year, I'm not complaining HaHaHa !!
Lannerman.
Old 14-01-2012, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Roger Tonkin writes
Couldn't miss the opportunity to spend a sunny, but cold afternoon in
the garden. Ground too wet for digging so I decided to cut down the
autumn fruiting raspberry canes. What a surprise, there were some green
ones about 4ft high, with buds in them that must have shot very late in
the autumn and continued grow. Also a couple of shoots about 9inches,
which are obviously this years, and several shoots just appearing at the
base. Not sure what they'll make of the current cold weather, the ice on
the bird feeder water has not melted at all today.

I also noticed that the leaf buds at the top of the hydrangea shoots are
emerging.

Walking along the River Wye this morning (in the fog!) there were masses
of snowdrops out.

I found Crocus tomasinanus and Crocus vernus and Galanthus nivalis out
at one of the local country parks today.

Other things seen flowering were between here and there Erysimum (both
the usual bedding wallflowers and one of the yellow perennial types)
Aurinia saxatilis, Antirrhinum majus, a Hebe ('Pagei'?), Geum urbanum
(wood avens), Heracleum sphondylium (hogweed), Pulmonaria ('Redstart'?),
Silene dioica (red campion) and Erophila verna agg. (whitlow grass).
Also Helleborus foetidus and Viburnum x bodnantense but perhaps I'm
supposed to be seeing them flowering at the moment.

I noticed Viburnum tinus in flower a week or so ago.

I wonder what else I'll find.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-01-2012, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message ,
Roger Tonkin writes
[...]

More out of season flowers seen yesterday - Choisya, Sidalcea, wild
turnip, and Chrysanthemum segetum.

I wonder what else I'll find.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Crazy Worms Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 16-06-2003 08:01 PM
Clematis drive me crazy Janice United Kingdom 13 16-06-2003 07:21 PM
I must be crazy. Anyone else? Allview Gardening 5 30-04-2003 03:32 PM
My crazy looking Java Fern - What to do? RifRaf Freshwater Aquaria Plants 11 20-04-2003 06:15 AM
Crazy Bird Doing Harm to Door Tom Engel Gardening 9 09-02-2003 08:01 AM